Teach me your pleco ways! Caves, breeding, maturity rates and more!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I only got my first pleco at the end of Feb, and I adore him already! He's an L183 Starlight pleco, named Ziggy!

DSCF5655.JPG

DSCF5727.JPG
DSCF5719.JPG

He's only an inch and a half long, a little baby. At the store, they were all hanging pretty close together, store says they're about 12 weeks old. Now that I have him/her, I'm strongly considering getting a second one, in the hopes that I'll have a M/F pair when they mature. Still too young to sex of course, but who knows if they'll be able to get more starlight plecos in at a later date, so thinking of getting a second while I can. I know that the store owner and a few staff have also bought pairs, in the hopes of getting breeding pairs later, so I'm thinking we might be able to arrange to do some swaps, if say one of us gets two males, and another two females, we can arrange to swap so we each have a M/F pair.

Or, since the ones in the store are no doubt his siblings or closely related ones from the same breeder, should I wait and look for an unrelated pleco for future breeding?

So my questions for those experienced with plecos and breeding, is how slowly do they mature? How old roughly do they need to be before the bristles grow in enough to sex them, and then how old are they usually before they can breed? I'm expecting a couple of years for full maturity/breeding, but hoping to be able to sex them in a few months.

He seems to be settling in well! He's not in his main tank yet, still in the quarantine. Mainly hid behind the sponge filter or a chunk of driftwood; but over the last week or so, I have seen him out and about more often. Seems to be settling and exploring, getting used to feeling safe as a loner fish without his siblings there. Thinking he might not be as shy as I first worried he might be!

Haven't seen him eat in front of me aside from nomming the glass and working his way across an Almond leaf, but he has a full looking tummy when I see him on the glass, so I assume he's eating enough. Have left the back and sides of the tank unwiped on the inside so there's a good amount of biofilm, micro-organisms and algae, and I drop an algae or shrimp pellet behind the filter where he tends to be most of the time. Have tried courgette and cucumber in there so far, but haven't seen him nom anything like that yet. What other veggies do your plecos like?

Any tips about pleco caves? They had different sizes in the store, I asked his advice (my LFS is pretty good, they're not afraid to admit they don't know something, but do their best to help) about whether I should get a smaller one that would feel cozy for him now, and upgrade the size as he grows, or one that will work for his adult size. He suggested getting the larger one that would work when he's bigger too, but so far, he's ignored it. Should I add a variety of different size caves in his main tank, so he has a choice and variety? Or just lots of shelters and hidey holes, and only worry about actual pleco caves when it comes time to try breeding?

Sorry for the essay of questions! I've been reading around of course, just also like to hear tips and thoughts from people who've kept plecos before!

If it helps, I got my around 1.5 years ago.

This was him then:
602502B0-AA77-4BDF-9033-A544C4498CC4.png

And this is him now:
B3DB0336-6BD9-4ACF-AD05-6B373ED2B038.jpeg

(I overuse that photo, I know. :lol: )
He went from around 1.5 inches to 4.5 inches in that time.

@Colin_T said that pvc pipes would help the breeding, but I’m not sure on much else. He would be able to tell you better. ;)

If it helps, I got my around 1.5 years ago.

This was him then:
View attachment 131147
And this is him now:
View attachment 131148
(I overuse that photo, I know. :lol: )
He went from around 1.5 inches to 4.5 inches in that time.

@Colin_T said that pvc pipes would help the breeding, but I’m not sure on much else. He would be able to tell you better. ;)
Thanks! Do you remember roughly how old he was/how long you had him before his bristles started to develop and you knew he was a male?

Thanks! Do you remember roughly how old he was/how long you had him before his bristles started to develop and you knew he was a male?
Mine devolved bristles around 6 month after I got him. But I don’t know how old he was when I bought him from the store. :/

If you want to breed small suckermouth catfish, buy 8-10 young fish and grow them up. They become sexually mature around 12 months of age.

You provide each one with a cave, lots of food including algae, driftwood and various frozen and dry fish foods, and clean conditions (clean water, gravel and filter), an appropriate temperature, and they do the rest.

For best results, try to get young fish from unrelated parents. If you aren't sure, get a group from one person and a group from another person and keep them in separate tanks. When they mature you can put pairs together in other tanks.

If you want to breed small suckermouth catfish, buy 8-10 young fish and grow them up. They become sexually mature around 12 months of age.

You provide each one with a cave, lots of food including algae, driftwood and various frozen and dry fish foods, and clean conditions (clean water, gravel and filter), an appropriate temperature, and they do the rest.

For best results, try to get young fish from unrelated parents. If you aren't sure, get a group from one person and a group from another person and keep them in separate tanks. When they mature you can put pairs together in other tanks.
Eeek, that's a lot!
That makes a lot of sense for someone serious about breeding these fish. But these Starlight's are £22 each, and I don't have a spare £220 lying around, nor the tank space to house that many!

I'm much more casually, considering another and thinking there's a good chance that even if I wind up with two of the same sex, there's a solid chance I'd be able to swap with someone else so we both end up with a M/F pair. It would be nice if that happened, but not the end of the world if it didn't, you know?

Are plecos selective about choosing their mates? If there's only male around for example, might the female reject him?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back