Breeding Kribs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

There are more, some at the bottom of the pic were really blurred cos I made a fingerprint on my lens in my excitement! So i cropped the pic :p I reckon there are at least 40, husband reckons it is 50 or 60!

Thank you! Spot is stunning nowadays, she has been such a vibrant colour since laying her eggs :) I will be posting more pics of the fry over the next week or so!

Is it normal for the parents to be fighting a bit? Dad keeps shoving Mum out of the way, and in turn she dives at him. they don't seem to be hurting each other... its just like they both want to be the primary care giver for the fry!

Things have calmed temporarily, will decide in the morning... see how they are together then!
If I moved him to my 4ft with my other female, would he be likely to breed with her too? Or are they a strictly one woman fish?

He'd breed with her. Well, he should, they will breed with one female and usually apir for life, but if you were to seperate him and put him with another female, he'd most likely breed with her aswell.

Hmmm I may move him into my 4ft for a while then, any babies he makes there will likely be eaten by the tank inhabitants and it will keep him out of Spot's way for a while! Then when the babies are all grown and sold, I can move him back in for round 2! :p
Approximately how old do the babies need to be before going to the LFS? I know it will depend on how fast they grow etc, but can you give me some idea of timescale?

2 to 2 1/2 months if feed nothing but BBS, and when able to eat flakes, Spirulina( Spirulina is optional, but is very good for colors, and helps immune system, which means less disease chacne, more energy growiong instead of fighting off a diease). Most retailers will but at 1 1/2 inch mark, others at 1 inch, or 2 inches and above.

cool, thanks. At what point is the male likely to start hassling to spawn again? I think I may just send him on a holiday to the q tank whilst I am away, i don't trust him! :p

LOL! I will definitely move him to another tank soon then, i don't want them to go eating the babies!
She seems to have set him straight on who is boss though... :p
Gonna upload a new pic :)

Here is mum with the babies. I can count at least 30 in this pic, and there were some around the corner not in shot! :)
mumandbabes.jpg

And here are the proud mum and dad!
mumanddad.jpg

Nice female! The male looks nice too, im gonna guess he's not a regular krib. I would want to go with the Nigerian Red Variety, since he dosent show normal coloration. Or it may be just a Regular male, just from that pic, he shows no stripes, and a red cheek and stomach( normal males have red stgomachs, but not red cheeks).

Most reactions

Back