Breeding Kribs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tibby25731

Fish Herder
Reaction score
OK, so my kribs have got it together... probably on Saturday or Sunday. Female is staying in cave or sitting outside it, chasing off anyone who comes near. I did pick up the cave and peek very quickly, there aren't loads of eggs but what I saw were pink - is this normal?
Secondly, i bought some liquifry to be prepared and it says to add some to the water when there are eggs. What do you usually do? Add before the eggs hatch, or after? Plus it said to feed 2-4 times a day, 1 drop per gallon - so that is 13 drops for my tank, several times over? Is this one of those things to disreagrd, as with some other foods where they advise feeding too much? HELP!
lastly, assuming the fry hatch OK and become free swimming, how long should I feed them Liquifry for, and at what stage do I move onto something else?? And what IS that something else???
Thanks!

From experince, Baby Brine Shrimp is the best food availble for fry. It makes them grow waayyy faster and easy for anything to eat. I by the frozen BBS, and break a little up and put it in. I usually use 1 inch squares for my fish, depending on how many and how big the babies are. Why would you feed ti when they are in there eggs? That makes no sense, you wait till they hatch. You dont officially feed them until they can swim, becasue where are are in the "wriggler stage" they are feeding off thier eggs sac( which is why they cant swim, its too heavy).

Ah I knew not to trust the instructions on the packet! I'll go get some frozen brine shrimp at the weekend, thank you!

Hi Tibby
It looks like we are both in the same boat So to speak!! :rolleyes:
I checked on my Kribs last night and have eggs in the back of an overturned platntpot, they have sand substrate and have built up like a wall infront, with a tiny gap to swim through ,... is sooo cute :wub:
Mum and dad are guarding the eggs, but this is the first time mine have spawned, so I am not expecting them to do too well. By the sounds of it they need to spawn a few times to get it right.
Good luck with yours and let us know how you get on :good:
Becks.

:) Good luck with yours then! This is my first time too, I am so excited!
Mum won't let Dad stand guard, don't think she trusts him! She is such a vibrant yellow right now, with clearly defined stripes and gorgeous red belly! Dad on the other hand is looking a bit henpecked, despite being twice the size of Mum! Also, he appears to have changed colour.... :S He is NOT yellow any more, he is more of a bluey grey colour and his stripes have gone. When Mum comes near and starts flicking, he develops a pinkish blush along the bottom of his body from his head to about half way along! How strange... has your male changed at all???

:) Good luck with yours then! This is my first time too, I am so excited!
Mum won't let Dad stand guard, don't think she trusts him! She is such a vibrant yellow right now, with clearly defined stripes and gorgeous red belly! Dad on the other hand is looking a bit henpecked, despite being twice the size of Mum! Also, he appears to have changed colour.... :S He is NOT yellow any more, he is more of a bluey grey colour and his stripes have gone. When Mum comes near and starts flicking, he develops a pinkish blush along the bottom of his body from his head to about half way along! How strange... has your male changed at all???

Mine are the same , the MUM is verycolourful, but DAD has been pale for weeks, I thought that they were just not getting along, even though they follow each others every move! , Seems I was wrong!!
My male is very pale, no pinkishness at all and his stripe is only just visible, he also is about twice the size of her
he is very involved in the whole process, he seems to be cave maker/sand digger , and she is guarding and cleaning the eggs.

Its nice to have someone in the same situation as I thought my male was a bit odd loosing all that colour.
Becks

:) What colour are your eggs? My female has laid once before when she had no male and the eggs looked white.. but these ones look pinkish - I only glanced very quickly cos the are in a cave and didn't want to disturb them too much!

:) What colour are your eggs? My female has laid once before when she had no male and the eggs looked white.. but these ones look pinkish - I only glanced very quickly cos the are in a cave and didn't want to disturb them too much!

I cant see them too good cos right at the back of the plant pot, but they look to be kind of browny / bronze coloured.
I will try get a pic of mine tonight, if I can without disturbing them
Becks.

Ah I guess as long as they are not bright white like the unfertilised ones, I have no need to worry! :p Don't disturb Mum and Dad on my behalf... just make sure to share pics when you get some babies! :p
WOOOOOOOOOOO! I can't wait.... will try not to be too disappointed if this first lot don't make it. just 1 baby and I will be happy!
Out of interest, what do you plan to do with the babies? I am hoping a LFS will take them but I don't know if they will keep taking babies long term.... so i might just give them away to people who live near to me from this forum! I just want the joy of watching the whole process :)

Ah I guess as long as they are not bright white like the unfertilised ones, I have no need to worry! :p Don't disturb Mum and Dad on my behalf... just make sure to share pics when you get some babies! :p
WOOOOOOOOOOO! I can't wait.... will try not to be too disappointed if this first lot don't make it. just 1 baby and I will be happy!
Out of interest, what do you plan to do with the babies? I am hoping a LFS will take them but I don't know if they will keep taking babies long term.... so i might just give them away to people who live near to me from this forum! I just want the joy of watching the whole process :)

I have a LFS lined up for them , as and IF I get any babies.
I cant wait either .... keep in touch
Becks.

I checked in the cave today and all the eggs were on the floor.... does this mean they are ready to hatch? They were attached to the roof of the cave a few days ago..........

I checked in the cave today and all the eggs were on the floor.... does this mean they are ready to hatch? They were attached to the roof of the cave a few days ago..........

Tibby, dont know how yours are going, mine have gone a bit crappy, can only see 3 eggs left so as I thought it wont be first time lucky.
But I hope yours are still ok if not better luck next time.
becks :good:

There t eggs, but wrigglers. Wrigglers look like eggs with tails. They will be like that for about 4 days, and then they will be able to swim( which is when you start feeding them).

What, now they are on the floor they are wrigglers? There were about 20 from what I could tell, quickly scanning! Wooo. I guess I should see some free swimming babies any time now! :drool:

What, now they are on the floor they are wrigglers? There were about 20 from what I could tell, quickly scanning! Wooo. I guess I should see some free swimming babies any time now! :drool:

Good luck I cant see any of mine, although sand dune city in that cave !!!
I think that mine were Sunday night Caviar for Mum and Dad , but good luck with yours :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back