Daphnia moina

GaryE

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
11,297
Reaction score
20,580
Points
113
Location
Eastern Canada
I had to recharge my Daphnia pulex cultures, which I keep outdoors from May to October and feed with greenwater. They do very well in general, and if I'd been patient, I wouldn't have needed to buy the Daphnia eggs. They came back although I thought conditions had been bad for them last autumn. I have clouds of them in my culture bins already.
But while I was ordering, I got some moina eggs as well. I've read some contradictory info on cultivating that species, and I'd like to bounce it out to the experienced minds on the forum. What would people suggest for temperature, and for general hatching and raising of this live food source?
 
Also eager to hear anyone experience.
 
I’ve been keeping moina for two years however I didn’t get them as eggs I have great success breeding them in my fish room
 
I’ve been keeping moina for two years however I didn’t get them as eggs I have great success breeding them in my fish room

Assuming mine hatch, how would your experience suggest I try breeding and setting up for them? I'm quite interested in the temperature question. I have green water, and space to keep them in both indoors and outdoors.

Other than their size and temperature tolerances, I'm assuming they wouldn't be radically different from other Daphnia species. That could be a wrong assumption.
 
Both Daphnia Pulex and moina Have basically the same requirements, I keep Daphnia moina in my fish room all year round I breed it in 35 L containers to set culture up I filled containers with tap water and leave to stand for two or three days I add the equivalent of two bags of Daphnia that you would usually get from local fish store, as we know Green water is the most natural way of feeding daphnia and of course there are other methods I find feeding bakers yeast is quick easy and straight forward , through the winter months water temperature is 60 Fahrenheit and summer reaching to no more than 70f it breeds as good through the winter time as it does through the summer months moina grows and multiplies faster than Pulex
 

Most reactions

Back
Top