Breeding Jack Dempsys

Redbled

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Recently my pair of Dempsys had babies. Unfortuanately after being moved to a seperate tank, within less than a week, all of them had died. I had an airstone as the only air movement as I didn't want to get any sucked up into my filters. Moved the fry away from the parents about 3 or 4 days after they became free swimming. Wonder if this was their downfall. Thought I had done things pretty closely to when my convicts had babies, and a number of them lived, but wondered if anyone might add some insight to this. Was sad not to have any of the fry survive.

You can leave the fry with the parents for up to 2 months as long as no other fish are in the tank.

If other fish reside, then leave them for at least a week after free swimming.

You would be wise to get a small sponge filter and get it going in the parents tank. When the spawn again you simply fill the fry tank completely with water from the parent tank and place the now aged sponge filter in the fry tank.

Feed 3-4 times a day and you should have no problems.

CM

There were other fish in the tank, but I had the parents and fry divided into about one third of it. Know now I moved them to soon. Sponge filter is a good thought. Did use the water in the parent tank to fill the fry 10 gallon one, but perhaps the fast move and lack of filter was what did them in. Expect to do better next time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back