Breeding Corydoras Hastatus (Fry Pictures!)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Thank you! Right now the Cories are nervous from me moving Plants around, would it help them settle in easier if I turned the lights off?

I am not a fan of turning off lights, but then I have floating plants in all my tanks, even my QT is covered with surface plants, so this is less of an issue. But knowing that regular light/dark does affect fish, it is my suggestion to leave the lights as thy will remain for the future, in terms of on/off time. Use a timer to ensure daily consistency.

A black bin liner would work as a temporary backing and help the fish feel safer.

A black bin liner would work as a temporary backing and help the fish feel safer.
Ok, I will try that! I did that on my 55, and just haven’t had the chance to make one for the 10, I can do that first thing tomorro! (my grandparents are coming to visit, so we have been cleaning non stop)

Soooooo I think my Cories may have laid eggs already! I checked on them, just to see how they were settling in to their new setup, and it appears they have laid 4 eggs (that I can see)

I couldn’t get a good picture, even with my mom’s phone, but here is the best I could get. What do you guys think? There are 2 in that photo, if you guys can’t see them I can try to circle them
A9621AC8-23F9-4D55-84B0-56278EE5A321.png

Soooooo I think my Cories may have laid eggs already! I checked on them, just to see how they were settling in to their new setup, and it appears they have laid 4 eggs (that I can see)

I couldn’t get a good picture, even with my mom’s phone, but here is the best I could get. What do you guys think? There are 2 in that photo, if you guys can’t see them I can try to circle themView attachment 136101
Yep, cory eggs....

What do I need to do to give the Cory eggs the best chance of survival? I found 2 more eggs in the back of the tank!

What do I need to do to give the Cory eggs the best chance of survival? I found 2 more eggs in the back of the tank!

I don't know how adept the dwarf cories are at eating the eggs. My pygmy cories certainly did not eat all (if any) of them; from six fish, I had close to 30 after a few months due to eggs hatching, and I left them alone and the fry fended for themselves; I did have a lot of dried oak leaves for infusoria though.

To be absolutely certain, you can carefully remove the eggs (they are delicate) and place them in one of those nylon mesh breeding boxes that hang on the rim of the tank. I did this for a larger species when I did save the egg which I saw them lay near the thermometer. Dried leaves in the net obviously, and then shrimp pellet when I saw the fry was free swimming. The egg hatched, the fry grew, and was released into the tank when I considered it large enough not to be eaten by the other fish (tetras, Bolivian Ram).

I don't know how adept the dwarf cories are at eating the eggs. My pygmy cories certainly did not eat all (if any) of them; from six fish, I had close to 30 after a few months due to eggs hatching, and I left them alone and the fry fended for themselves; I did have a lot of dried oak leaves for infusoria though.

To be absolutely certain, you can carefully remove the eggs (they are delicate) and place them in one of those nylon mesh breeding boxes that hang on the rim of the tank. I did this for a larger species when I did save the egg which I saw them lay near the thermometer. Dried leaves in the net obviously, and then shrimp pellet when I saw the fry was free swimming. The egg hatched, the fry grew, and was released into the tank when I considered it large enough not to be eaten by the other fish (tetras, Bolivian Ram).
Ah ok! Right now there are 4 to 6 eggs, I think I will leave them where they are as I don’t have a breeder net. The only problem is, I was not planning on the possibility of fry so soon, and my grandparents are coming to visit today and will be staying in my bedroom for almost a week. I won’t have a whole lot of access to the tank, I can go turn the light on in the morning and off in the evening and feed them while I’m in there, but that’s it. They would not be very happy if they saw me running a siphon out my window and doing a water change on my tank. I won’t let that get in the way if I feel like there is work that needs done, but is there anything I can do before they get here to make it so I dont have to do much WHILE they’re here?

Hello!!! I THINK one of the the Cory eggs may have hatched!!! It appears to be split in the middle and empty. If the parents had eaten it, would the whole egg just be gone? I don’t SEE any fry, but my tank is planted and lots of room for the thing to hide. I went to my LFS last night with my grandma and purchased 2 bunches of Ludwigia, some small Dwarf Sags, and a LARGE bunch of water sprite! I would think the tank would be considered densely planted now:lol:
563423D6-8FEA-4107-85DE-E6D072B0053A.jpeg

Hello!!! I THINK one of the the Cory eggs may have hatched!!! It appears to be split in the middle and empty. If the parents had eaten it, would the whole egg just be gone? I don’t SEE any fry, but my tank is planted and lots of room for the thing to hide. I went to my LFS last night with my grandma and purchased 2 bunches of Ludwigia, some small Dwarf Sags, and a LARGE bunch of water sprite! I would think the tank would be considered densely planted now:lol:View attachment 136267
Looking great, hope to see more fry pics soon...

Most reactions

Back