Breeding Corydoras Hastatus (Fry Pictures!)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! I have an empty (but cycled and running) 10 gallon tank. I am hoping to breed Cory Hastatus and had a few questions!

- Would it be better to let the Cories spawn in the 55 gallon tank and move the eggs to the 10 gallon, or condition the Cories in the 10 gallon and move them back to the 55 once they spawn? I would rather nooooot have to move the eggs, that sounds stressful!

- How should I set up (decorate) the tank for them, to make the Cories feel comfortable?

-Should I have a bare bottom tank or is my sand substrate ok? (I will post a photo below)

- I have an AquaClear 20 filter with a sponge on the intake, Will this work or do I need a real sponge filter?

- I have heard of people putting alder cones in to help reduce the chance of fungus or something, is there anything else that would work better or just as well? The more options the better!

- What is the best temperature for the tank?

- Is it alright to condition the Cories on Tubifex worms, Decapsulated brine Shrimp eggs, TetraMin Tropical Flakes, and Algae/veggie wafers, or is there anything else I should look to get?

- I understand that Cories like tannin stained water, would Indian Almond Leaves work for this?

I will post a photo in a little bit!

Last edited:
Hello! I have an empty (but cycled and running) 10 gallon tank. I am hoping to breed Cory Hastatus and had a few questions!

- Would it be better to let the Cories spawn in the 55 gallon tank and move the eggs to the 10 gallon, or condition the Cories in the 10 gallon and move them back to the 55 once they spawn? I would rather nooooot have to move the eggs, that sounds stressful!

- How should I set up (decorate) the tank for them, to make the Cories feel comfortable?

-Should I have a bare bottom tank or is my sand substrate ok? (I will post a photo below)

- I have an AquaClear 20 filter with a sponge on the intake, Will this work or do I need a real sponge filter?

- I have heard of people putting alder cones in to help reduce the chance of fungus or something, is there anything else that would work better or just as well? The more options the better!

- What is the best temperature for the tank?

- Is it alright to condition the Cories on Tubifex worms, Decapsulated brine Shrimp eggs, TetraMin Tropical Flakes, and Algae/veggie wafers, or is there anything else I should look to get?

- I understand that Cories like tannin stained water, would Indian Almond Leaves work for this?

I will post a photo in a little bit!
i think transfer... 10 g is small and might cause stress for a cory if moved. so move the eggs instead.
ill watch this thread and try to help if i can though

i think transfer... 10 g is small and might cause stress for a cory if moved. so move the eggs instead.
ill watch this thread and try to help if i can though
Thank you! The only problem is, in the 55 gallon tank I have tetras and an acara and I am afraid they would eat the eggs immediately! I figured it would give the eggs a better chance even if it stressed the adults a bit

Thank you! The only problem is, in the 55 gallon tank I have tetras and an acara and I am afraid they would eat the eggs immediately! I figured it would give the eggs a better chance even if it stressed the adults a bit
ah yes then get a black container WITH water in it to transfer, one time i stressed one of my guppies too much and- aborted...

I would put them in the 10 gallon. Make sure the tank gets some early morning sun strike. I am not a fan of moving eggs, as it can damage the fry. Lots and lots of plants. As long as you have acid soft water you will be fine. Temperature is not a big deal.

I would put them in the 10 gallon. Make sure the tank gets some early morning sun strike. I am not a fan of moving eggs, as it can damage the fry. Lots and lots of plants. As long as you have acid soft water you will be fine. Temperature is not a big deal.
Ok ?? Our GH is 5, PH is 7.5 is there any thing I need to change to make it more ideal? It does not get direct sunlight, but I can leave my curtains open?

Lots and lots of plants, make your water soft using peat or almond leaves, reduce your water changes down to 25% once a week. Add some drift wood to the tank. The combination of these things will make your tank acidic over time.

Lots and lots of plants, make your water soft using peat or almond leaves, reduce your water changes down to 25% once a week. Add some drift wood to the tank. The combination of these things will make your tank acidic over time.
just wondering, but are maple and oak leaves safe? (wild trees but i will clean the leaf)

Ok! I have lots of plants, I have a big driftwood branch, and I am buying some Almond Leaves. I typically do 30% each week, just because I have a 1 gallon jug that I use haha, but I can adjust it!

What kinds of plants would you recommend? I have some Amazon Sword, 2 small Anubias, some little dwarf sag, and I am ordering 3 big bunches of water sprite, along with a pack of 50 Indian almond leaves, is there anything else? Do you know anything about the benefits of Alder Cones?

Ok! I have lots of plants, I have a big driftwood branch, and I am buying some Almond Leaves. I typically do 30% each week, just because I have a 1 gallon jug that I use haha, but I can adjust it!
i think you should get a new driftwood full of tannin (unless yours is already tannin-y)

Those plants are fine. If you can get some Cabomba or Ambulia as well that would be great. They like swimming through it when spawning. I know nothing about Alder cones and have never used fresh leaves in an aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back