Bozza's 3ft (160l) Planted Tank!

Bozza

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Ive just recently bought a 3ft. It is still gettin finished at the moment. Has 2x30watt and 2x18watt T8's on it. Would this be ok? I have worked it out to be about 1.6-1.8WPG. Pics will be posted along the way. I also have a Nutrafin Co2 kit. I know its not big enough for the 3ft. But would it be good to still have it in? Im thinking yes. Looking forward to what people think of my 3ft.

Thanks,
Torrens

I personally think the lighting is good enough for most plants but no pearling expecting. The CO2 might be not enough but still better than no supply though. :)

Good luck ya.

Im tempted to get another light which would another 2x30 watt. I know the Co2 wont be much. Im abit worried because ive read that if some parts of the tank dont get co2 then it will get bad algae. I do have a fair bit or movement around the tank so I dont think that is much of a concern. Once the tank is setup for a while. I might get another light and another co2 kit. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Pics will be up in about a week or so.

I'd get more CO2 before thinking about any more light. High light and little or unstable CO2 is one big, bad combo.

So that would course a big algae bloom Im assuming. Ok. So next addition to the tank should be another co2 kit? Would that be ok to have 2 co2 kits and only 90watts of light?

Operation 3ft has hit another slight delay :( I have the following stats. PH 7.6, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0.5. Weirdly enough I have 2 little cory fry swimming in the 3ft all by themselves. There was 3 but it died after I tried to transfer it into another tank. So its best to just leave them in. Anyway my question is. With those types of stats would it be ok to put plants in? Or wait for it to be more stable? Also any good ways to lower PH?? Thanks in advance

No I couldnt. With the amount of ammonia I had in my tank when I first set it up. All of the plants died. Well most did and some I moved into another tank to try and keep alive. Will do another test in a few days and will plant it then.

Why are the amonia levels so high?
What kind of water conditioner are you using? Prime works great and will help with the amonia problem too.
Are you sure the amonia was the problem with the plants? That don't sound right.

Everything else is ok with the tank. It may of just been the plants breaking down, cause of them still be new. They were crypts which do melt so it could of just been then melting. The stats are PH 7.6, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0.5 so im not sure. Will give it a few more days and see how things are going. Hopefully I can stop lookin at a empty tank :(

With enough healthy fast growing plants you should have little or no ammonia, the plants will take it up as quick as it is produced. If ammonia levels get too high then I think it can affect plants, I know mine suffered last year when I had filter/medication issues and ammonia got ~5ppm, didn't do too much good for the fish either!

Ok kool. So by the sounds of that I can start planting again :D Mite do that this weekend or early next week. Thanks for all your help everyone

No I couldnt. With the amount of ammonia I had in my tank when I first set it up. All of the plants died. Well most did and some I moved into another tank to try and keep alive. Will do another test in a few days and will plant it then.

As the other posters have suggested it was definately not ammonia that killed off your plants. The plants actually take the nitrate and turn it back into ammonia (or so I have read) therefore if there is ammonia available they will use this before having to work on the nitrate.

This is why so many people say you don't have to cycle if you have plants.

I would stay with your current lighting then you can use the non CO2 route with very few water changes.

Read on Tom Barr's site for Non CO2 tanks.

Andy

So I shouldnt add co2 to the tank? I thought it would be best to add co2 and get another light? I did think that about not needing to cycle with plants in there. But for some reasono the plants started to die. I will see how things go in the next few days. Thanks again for everyones help.

Most reactions

Back