Boyu Tl 550

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
xxBarneyxx the snail type thing I seen was like a small snail definatley not a bristle worm,
I can't get over how much live is in the rock, it just so happened when my daughter had a goldfish tank my better half bought a white and red LED light at so I took Trod's advice and hooked it up and WOW what can I say the rock is teaming with life, amongst pods etc I saw something which was free swiming resembling a little tiny fish and I might be imagining it but something which looked like a very small mantis shrimp at least it was moving like one. :unsure:
Well im off to tank watch for a bit :good:

i can remember when i had pet rock, all my mates thought i was nuts staring into a box full of water and rock

Hope you all had a good christmas?
Just an update last night while rock watching I saw not 1 but 2 Brittle stars roaming around the tank, Are these safe to leave in and also any info on them would be much appreciated.

Cheers

:good:

You're sure doing a lot of watching Charlie....
Buy yourself a hand magnifying lens and you'll be even more amazed.
Brittle stars should be fine.
BigC

Visited LFS on saturday with water sample to get them to double check water conditions,and was given the all clear!! :shout:
So I decided to buy some CUC I purchased 5 hermit crabs and 3 turbo snails.
EPSN3937.JPG

EPSN3949.JPG

Got them home and they settled down to the job at hand!!!!

Also what I have noticed in the tank id some Aiptasia I think????
If they are how do I get rid of?
EPSN3944.JPG

EPSN3947.JPG

Notice the white tenticles to the left of the hermit.

Pic one don't look too much like aiptasia to me it's just a normal fan worm. Can you get in a wee bit closer, pic wise.
Second pic cant really see it all that well to determine what it is.
Your turbo snails are sometime misnamed and are in fact Astrea snails check google for pics, to see what you have.
Turbos can right themselves if they fall from the rock, whereas Astreas (more common) cannot and you will physically have to do the job for them otherwise they will perish.
Look also to obtaining some Cerith and Nassarius snails (detrius and gravel cleaners) Also get some shells form whatever source you find the easiest as the hermits will move home quite a lot and if one finds another one's shell a nice looking little home then it will kill to get it. So some loose shell strewn about the base will eleviate that problem.
If you live near the coast then pick up a bag of shells from a seaside shop or alternatively something like this
[URL="http://tinyurl.com/8owyvw"]http://tinyurl.com/8owyvw[/URL]
Tank is comming along Charlie. Nice work
Now lets have the full tank shot (FTS)
Regards
BigC

Just to second Big C's advice on the snails and hermits. Definetly make sure you get plenty of shells for the hermits to stop them killing each other and the snails.

The first picture does look like an aiptasia to me (after zooming in on the photo a bit) second photo is hard to tell without seeing the base of it. Aiptasia X or Joes Juice will do the trick. Peppermint shrimp may also eat them.

Yeah just downloaded the pic and zoomed in and change my mind on that one it looks like Aiptasia as Barney suggested so do as he has mentioned,
Regards
BigC

Thanks!
The white thing in the second picture is a bigger version of the one in the first picture, if that makes sense :unsure:
Paid a visit AGAIN to LFS and raided his tanks and came away with 3 spare shells, do I need to get more?
I checked google BigC and it appears I have Turbo setosus snails the ones that can right themselves

new_pa20.jpg

the one on the left is Turbo setosus, the one on the right is Astraea tecta.
Note the slanted stance of Astraea and the more upright pose of the setosus, this is an easy way to tell them apart.
( quoted from a website )

All in all the snails are doing quite a good job of cleaning the rocks :good:

Would it be worth putting my Nano pump on a timer so it varies when its on or off, would this be benificial to my system? Just thought would create a more natural circulation in the tank.

Once again thanks for all your help as requested BigC heres a FTS.

EPSN3951.JPG

Timer is only good if it is switching on and off fairly rapidly. You do however need to have a powerhead that will handle this without breaking.

I would get more shells (the more the better). You can always chuck them behind your LR so they are out of the way (also gives a fairly good place for pods to hide). I have about 20 shells in my tank for 10 hermits and they all seem to have settled on the ones they want. I'm going to have to try and get a few bigger ones though.

xxBarneyxx
Timer is only good if it is switching on and off fairly rapidly. You do however need to have a powerhead that will handle this without breaking.

Will the powerhead I have handle it its a Hydor Korilia 1? If not what would you reccomend and howcome it would only be good if it was switching on and off rapidly, would it not be best to have timer set on intervals of say 10 mins on and 15 mins off etc???
Sorry for all the questions

Once again thanks for all your help as requested BigC heres a FTS.
Nothing wrong with that M8, Excellent work thus far.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back