Boyu Tl 550

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xxBarneyxx
Timer is only good if it is switching on and off fairly rapidly. You do however need to have a powerhead that will handle this without breaking.

Will the powerhead I have handle it its a Hydor Korilia 1? If not what would you reccomend and howcome it would only be good if it was switching on and off rapidly, would it not be best to have timer set on intervals of say 10 mins on and 15 mins off etc???
Sorry for all the questions

I guess having the pumps on longer timers wouldn't hurt (but you will need to have more than one pump to make sure the minimum flow is still going). The main reason most people have pumps on timers is to create random flow patterns and wave effects (which are apprently much better for corals and also help to stop any dead spot of no/low flow in the tank). To do this you often need to turn multiple pumps on and off over a fairly short time period (from seconds to a few minutes). If you just have the pump going on and off every 10 minutes you just get 10 minutes of normal flow and 10 minutes of no flow.

Honestly cant say of the korilias are rated for wave controllers (as in the plug in timer kind) or not. I know they have a special range of 12v pumps that go with a wave controller unit but not sure what the difference is in terms of the actual hardware. As far as I can recall it is something to do with the power on circuit and the way it kicks the impeller into life. unless they are built in a certain way turning them on and off constantly wears them down very quickly (afraid I dont know much more than that but someone on here will be able to give you some better information).

Oh and the tank does look really good as well :)

Thanks for the advice.
I have just performed my first water change today and everything has gone according to plan so im chuffed to bits :hyper:
Out of interest what temperature are your tanks? Mine is at 78 would you say this is ok?

Cheers

:good:

I run mine at 26.78 which is 80 degrees - I read around this issue a fair amount and came to the comclusion that this would suit best :good: I would say you need to up the temp. a degree :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL :shout:

Just a small update for you tested water today and here are the results:

Temp = 26C
S.G = 1.027
P.H = 8.2
Ammonia = Zero
Nitrite = Zero
Nitrate = Zero

Only thing recently added was another 2 Turbo snails so in total the inhabitants of the tank at present are 5 Hermits and 5 Turbo snails. which seem to be keeping algae down :good:

I have noticed that I have 4 Aiptasia in the tank, 1 which is fairly big and 3 which are very small which I need to get rid of not sure which way to do this?
Peppermint shrimp?
Joe's juice?
Boiling water?
OR
BERGHIA VERRUCICORNIS NUDIBRANCH ( seems the favorite just reading up on them at the minute )
SEE LINK BELOW
http://www.hbaquatics-online.co.uk/product...rnis_nudibranch

All in all the tank is coming along nicely and ready for stocking but I'm not sure what with? Do I buy fish first or corals? Which way did you lot do it.

I went the fish first route had to get the 2 nemo's or my grandson would never have spoken to me again :blush: , but bet you go to your LFS and come out with something totally different to what you went in for :rofl: everyone does :drool:

Im the same as Trod and tend to go for whatever my LFS has in that is good :) Fish first is probably a good idea as it gives any possible water spikes a chance to finish without stressing the corals.

However on both my tanks I have mixed adding in fish and corals pretty much right from the start.

For the Aiptasia Joes Juice has always worked great for me. Im not sure if my peppermint shrimp ate mine or whether it was just the joes juice alone but peppermint shrimp look cool anyway (on the rare occasions when they come out of the rockwork that is).

If I were you Charlie, I'd start with trying out peppermint shrimp :)

Yeah, that's what I am going to do as well, make sure it is a true peppermint (Lysmata wurdemanni) and not a camel shrimp though as some that are sold are similar but don't eat the dreaded weed and nibble on soft corals :crazy: !

Seffie x

Do you have Aiptasi also Seffie? I have noticed a couple more in the tank tonight so I need to find one pronto I just hope my LFS has one :crazy:
Is there a noticable difference between the peppermint and camel shrimp and also are they compatable with other shrimps?

Just a word of caution.

I have had the proper peppermint shrimp in my tank since the early days and my aiptasia population has been untouched by it.

Whether it would be differewnt if i had a few more i don't know.

mutantbigman2000 Posted Today, 12:24 AM
Just a word of caution.

I have had the proper peppermint shrimp in my tank since the early days and my aiptasia population has been untouched by it.

Whether it would be differewnt if i had a few more i don't know.

I have found that Peppermints won't eat the larger ones but they do have a good go at the smaller ones.. I used the syringe/Joesjuice to tackle the smaller ones.. A good way for the larger tanks is to get a Copper banded Butterfly fish which will eat them no problem.

The only problem in dealing with aptasia is that if you don't deal with them as soon as they appear they'll overrun the tank and you'll never get rid of them. Otherwise you'll have them latching on in sumps, filter media, etc etc.

When i had to get rid of my last tank and was cleaning the canister filter i was horriffied to find them surving in quite some number..

- matt

Oh yes, I have the blooming things - the only person I know who hasn't is Trod and boy I bet she is smiling when she reads this :hyper:

Yes there is a huge difference, one eats the dreaded stuff and the other doesn't :good: unfortunatly they look similar so people get away with selling them :crazy: as others have said though it appears they like the small ones, got a couple of those but now have two large ones yuck, because I can't get rid of them - seriously thinking about Ski's blowtorch :sick:

Seffie x

My LFS have some TRUE peppermint shrimps in this Friday so i'm going to take a chance and fingers crossed the little blighters disapear just leaving the large one for me to kill!!!!
I was kindly given some Frags tonite off a gentleman who works near me along with some large pippets ( turkey basters ) and some D&D construction epoxy.
The new recruits are:
One large Mushroom anemone
3 bits of Zoanthus
1 large gorgonians of some kind I think ( which I had to prepare and fix to rock which was quite interesting )
Will post pics later I have put all of them on the floor of the tank to settle in then over the next few days i'll move them ( any help in best positions would be nice :hyper: )
In the mean time can anyone tell me what on earth this is which appeared in my tank yesterday!!!!!!
EPSN3990.JPG

Best way I can describe it is in a clam like shell and has a foot that gets it about the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back