Bought Two Fish.... Don't Really Know What They Are.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

redskygrave

Reaction score
So when we first bought our tank, we went out and bought some guppies. Turns out the guy didn't know what he was talking about because one of the turned out to be a Sunburst Platy. And the other two are males (We were told one of them was a female.) But now we are wondering if they are even guppies, two weeks ago we bought three female guppies and nothing has happened. They really don't even interact with each other. So could someone identify what they are? 
photo1_zps88ec3d3f.jpg

(Also, this is Shelby.... He is the one that we were told was female.) 

That fish does look female; it's probably a platy, although it could be a swordtail (only male swordtails have a sword).

A clearer pic would help a lot though!

The bottom pic does look like a guppy, though the top one could be a platy or a molly. Someone more clued up on livebearers should confirm.

Both look like mollies to me.

Top ones females, bottom ones male.

the two first ones look like platys and the last one looks like a guppy.

actually i'm not sure about the last one :p

The top one in the net looks like  a platy and female at that, while the bottom one looks like a male sailfin (but not mature) or a male Molly. Mollys and sailfins cross breed readily so it probably has both in its genes anyway.

the top picture (netted) is definitely a platy. And most definitely a female one at that. The second looks as though it could possibly be something like a sailfin molly or a sailfin platy if there is such a thing. Anybody else on my wave length? :p

I think all 3 are different species. First one looks like a platy, second a molly and third a sailfin. I don't see any guppies. 
confused.gif

Paradise<3 said:
Both look like mollies to me.

Top ones females, bottom ones male.

Might agree with Paradise<3. Male mollies have a longer fin thats located at the top (the top fin above its head) and females have a shorter one if you look at each picture also you could see of it has a gonopodium which means its a male but its hard to see :good:

You can get Mollies + Platy Hybrids, the LFS was selling Swordtail Mollies, and i've also seen Moppy's (Guppy + Mollies)!

Top is a platy, bottom is a molly. No guppies in sight I'm afraid!

mtbdean said:
You can get Mollies + Platy Hybrids, the LFS was selling Swordtail Mollies, and i've also seen Moppy's (Guppy + Mollies)!
No, you can't. You can get swordtail/platy hybrids and guppy/endler/molly hybrids, and various tail shapes in all species, but not crosses of platies with mollies, for example, as they are entirely different species.

They are both definitely mollies, trust me on this. My old female molly had exactly the same body shape as the female above just different colours. For all who are confused... Here we go.

Swordtail:

Male - 
MaleSword_zpsbe78bd1a.jpg

Female - 
FemaleSword_zps5f0c48ca.jpg

Platy, no difference apart from anal fin shape. Body shape is the same in Platy's.
Platy_zps35d800be.jpg

Guppy:

Male - 
Guppy.jpg

Female - 
Female_zps9a86a87d.jpg

Molly:

Male - 
MaleMolly_zps5440988a.jpg

Female - 
Photo0134.jpg

Photo0320.jpg

Out of these pictures, the only ones that are mine are as follows - Female Molly, Male Guppy and Female Guppy. Obviously you can get different colours of all species but these are sample pictures. These are both mollies. That's going by body shape. Also, look at the female's dorsal, it's long and follows down her back from about midway which Platies don't have. They have a simple triangular dorsal. Mollies is my final answer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back