BOTTOM FEEDERS

panther1505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am starting up a 42 gallon high aquarium. My son wants me to get some Kuhli Loaches, and I like the Albino Cory Cats.

Do you think that it would be overkill if I were to buy 2 Loaches and 2 Cory Cats, since they are both bottom feeders?

Yeah, though I would bump it up to 4 or more of each. You'd still have room for more in a 42 gallon if that's all you put in there for bottom dwellers. IMO you could probably get away with 5 Khuli's and maybe 7-8 Cories though you'll want plenty of hiding places for them.

I plan to buy a redtailed shark (or 2), some painted tetras, painted glass fish, and some gold goramis.

Knowing that, do you think I should still get 4 loaches and 4 cory's?

dont put two Red Tails Together...they will fight..painted tetra's and glassfish? are they what i think they are? (Dyed)?

DevilsAdvocate,
Take a look at this website. When I read about the redtails, they don't seem to make it sound as bad as you do. They say that 2 redtails will argue. I know that it's just the simple use of words, but arguing sounds less violent than fighting.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Shark,%20Red-Tail.htm

As for your question about the tetras and glassfish, I don't know.

Why do you ask? Is that bad?

panther1505 said:
As for your question about the tetras and glassfish, I don't know.

Why do you ask? Is that bad?
Most people here feel that dyeing fish is wrong. :angry: :grr:
Here a link to a website that gives information about dyeing fish: Death by Dyeing

Hopefully it will give you more information about painted glassfish and help you in your decision about them. :thumbs:

panther, please go to the website that captain gave you. as for the shark issue i do not have the knowlege but i have heard that 2 will fight bad.

i will have to tell u this but, having 2 rtbs is already a problem but having a rtbs with cories and kulis are bad too, my cories have been stressed to death when i brought it, of course, i was a begginer back then

Hi panther1505 :)

I looked at the site where you got your information and, while I hate to criticize it, I was not very impressed. I looked at the page on corydoras catfish, which I know a bit about, and was quite put off by it. Frankly, I wouldn't trust any information provided by a site that puts up a picture of a fish with the caption under it that says, "Corydoras julii or close facsimile. " This person didn't do very much research, it seems to me. :X

Here's a link with more credible information:

http://www.fishinthe.net/html/fishguide/fi...FC=115&nl=&nt=1

Corys are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 3 or more, and kuhlis, while not schooling fish, do seem to become less timid when kept in a group. While they get along with each other well, I would not recommend keeping either of them with a red tailed black shark. :no:

Yeah i have cory cats and kuhlii loachs togther in one tank, and i also have one ruby shark and they get along fine. You might want to think about them. However they can be one in the same i guess. Another thing you can do if you are set on the 2 sharks, is getting i guy and a girl. Males have a black stripe on there back fin. Hope this helps

if people say keeping a shark with cories are ok, well when i started i look at my fish for like 2 hours per day and this is what i notice, scaring the living daylights out of of my cories :-(

So you're saying that your red tailed black sharks were intimidating your cory's and loaches?

What type of bottom feeder would you suggest I get that would get along with the sharks?

Clown loaches and Polka dot loaches do quite well together with sharks (Bi-colour and Red tail black's) I've got 3 Clowns, 9 Polka Dots 2 Bi-colour sharks and 1 Red tail shark and the sharks do a bit of chasing but everyone is happy :D

Most reactions

Back