Bottom Dweller For Small Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TomC

Reaction score
Heya i got a 25 litre tall hexagonal tank with a well developed ugf, its home to only two white cloud mountain minnows at the moment im looking for two bottom dwelling fish that dont grow to big, i am currently looking at getting a bigger tank and setting this one up as a hopital/quarantine tank so the fish can be transfered, any ideas?

Corys are very adorable and fun to watch, but you will need 3, as they should not be kept in less than 3.

hmm i suppose i can move them to a bigger tank... what sort would you suggest?

If it's a small tank I suggest pygmy corys, but if you have a tank big enough i'd say C. Aneuos (spelling) aka Bronze + albino corys. They are relativly hardy unlike some corys, i'm not an expert but if you ask any questions I may be able to answer them for you, however the person to ask questions to is Wilder as she seems very experienced and has helped me VERY many times before!
HTH,
Neal

I bought a Bronze cory a week ago,cute little devil, and great fun just to watch. Anyway, I went out today and bought 2 more, once released into the tank,after skulking on the bottom for ten minutes,they all found each other and have been inseperable since,either franticly dashing bottom to top and back,or just resting on the bottom. Am I glad I got em? Too right,in my opinion you would love em too. They live in a 2ft tank with cherry barbs and neons,all get on fine

2 corys can easily fit in even a 10 gal (i myself keep them that way...) and they come in all colors and variations. They are pretty fun :D

2 corys can easily fit in even a 10 gal (i myself keep them that way...) and they come in all colors and variations. They are pretty fun :D
Snick- be careful about blanket statements like that. Not all corys can easily live in a 10 gallon. Most of them are schooling fish and like to be kept in large groups. 6 2 inch corys and you'd already be overstocked in a 10 gallon. Not to mention the lack of ground space.
Also I don't see how you can offer stocking advice when you have a fish that can reach 10 inches and be extremely aggressive in a 10 gallon community!
Secondly, did you read the post? It's about a 6.5 gallon tank. And ontop of that, it's tall. Not exactly the best for a group of schooling bottom dwellers.
Finally, it has an undergravel filter, meaning it can't really accomadate a sand substrate. Which is what corys prefer. Try not to give bad advice to someone who is looking for help.

TomC

I'd reccomend say, three ottocinclus they're quite small. But make sure you have a constant supply of algae for them to thrive on. In order to accomodate most bottom dwellers you really need a tank with a bit larger foot print.

regardless of what you get, you'll really have to keep up on water changes. You'll be really close to fully stocked, if not overstocked. Good luck and make sure you double check any information you get. ;)

Heya i got a 25 litre tall hexagonal tank with a well developed ugf, its home to only two white cloud mountain minnows at the moment im looking for two bottom dwelling fish that dont grow to big, i am currently looking at getting a bigger tank and setting this one up as a hopital/quarantine tank so the fish can be transfered, any ideas?
As onemisterchristian said your tank is far from ideal for bottom dwellers. As well as that using the 1inch of fish per US gal rule, you already have 3 inches of fish as your White Cloud Minnows will eventually reach around 1.5". However, As long as your gravel is small 1 - 3mm and all rounded you could probably get away with 4 pygmy cories, mine seem fine on very small rounded gravel although sand would be better. There are 3 species which are considered to be pygmy because of there eventual adult size being 2" or less. I have Corydoras pygmaeus in my 10gal UK tank, which is the smallest Pygmy Cory (reaches about 1") but there are 2 other species which get slightly bigger. Corydoras hastatus 1" - 2" & Corydoras habrosus around 2". All should be kept in school of at least 4.

In your situation you can only go for 4 Corydoras pygmaeus and even then you are slightly overstocked. Let us know what you decide.

TomC, upgrading to a bigger tank and making that tank a hopital or quarentine is a great idea. :nod: Personally, I wouldn't add cories or otos until you have you bigger tank established; like said above --- cories need to be in groups (which is pushing it size-wise with a small, tall hex tank) and otos are sensitive fish. For the current tank, you can add shrimp; but if your minnows get sick or weak, they might become a shrimp feast.

Thanks for the advice guys, iv decided to wait untill my big tank is all set up, iv ut in a sand substrait on that one.

Thanks for the advice guys, iv decided to wait untill my big tank is all set up, iv ut in a sand substrait on that one.

Sounds awesome! :clap: How big of a tank?

juwel rekord 120... :D iv just finished putting sand in took ages to wash it and stuff

oh btw its TomC i made that account because for some reason my hotmail crashed and i forgot password.... :blush: yeah but i picked up the rekord for £30!!

yea i no, its just got sand in at the mo, well lighting filter and all that my next door neigher, well new fish keeping adviser lol has given me some mature filter pad things for the filter and just says put afew flakes in the tank to keep the bacteria going, he still hasnt come up with a theme, i dunno weather to go with the comunity tank or what, any ideas?

Most reactions

Back