Bottled Water

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sad2.gif

i'm talking about the interpet tapsafe that's what I use! I go through a big one in a few months. Maybe i'm using too much?

ebay the phrase "Concentrated Aquarium Tap Water Dechlorinator"

I got a bottle for £2 in a sale, now back to normal price but it is meant to treat 14000 litres of water. Enough people on the forum use it without ammonia spikes so I assumed it was safe and... it is.

As for the water, cheers for the close up photo. It is bottled in Forfar, taken from the Strathmore reservoir. No added chemicals, not even fluoride.

I would need to do this for near on 180 litres to cope with my weekly water changes :s Think I will stick to my £2 bottle that looks set to do me for over a year.

dgwebster said:
ebay the phrase "Concentrated Aquarium Tap Water Dechlorinator"

I got a bottle for £2 in a sale, now back to normal price but it is meant to treat 14000 litres of water. Enough people on the forum use it without ammonia spikes so I assumed it was safe and... it is.

As for the water, cheers for the close up photo. It is bottled in Forfar, taken from the Strathmore reservoir. No added chemicals, not even fluoride.

I must be using too much. It's the bottle where you squeeze it into the cap to measure it, if I use a whole capful every time I do a water change which, in the baby tank is twice a day, that's a lot! I might buy one for the main tank. 
Oh right that's just up north from me. 

KirkyArcher said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o4SMXHkyfM  this is also how my sister has always "dechlorinated" water for her tanks, but she uses a large 30 litre storage canister with a towel placed over it instead of bottles as she requires large volumes

Ah thanks for the link. Now that I remember this is the way my landlady does it. When I went over to pick up some cories, I wondered why she had bottles and bottles of water just sitting on the counter, she said the chlorine evaporates and she puts the water straight in without dechlorinator. 
I am just going to refill this 5L bottle with tap water after I do the water change this morning. Let is sit for a few days while the other bottle is being used and then use it.
My fry tanks only 64L so that will be fine, when I just do 10% changes at a time.

A huge part of my brain is kindling science memories telling me you cannot gass-off chloromines, just chlorine.

dgwebster said:
A huge part of my brain is kindling science memories telling me you cannot gass-off chloromines, just chlorine.
You are correct!

A bottle of prime treats around 5000 us, so I believe that's 20000 liters.

Maybe I might be better to get that. I'm obviously using too much!

KirkyArcher said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o4SMXHkyfM  this is also how my sister has always "dechlorinated" water for her tanks, but she uses a large 30 litre storage canister with a towel placed over it instead of bottles as she requires large volumes

That's a way to treat your water if it has chlorine in it.  However contrary to what she states in that video, chloramine does not evaporate at all...  (Not even if you boil the water)

"Chloramine is a chemical compound of chlorine and ammonia. It does not dissipate or evaporate into the air as chlorine does. It is highly toxic and lethal to marine animals and fish. When in contact with organic materials in raw water, it creates toxic by-products".

I suppose it might work because it gets broken down (slowly) by UV light.  But if I had chloramines in my water supply I would not be willing to test it.

About the bottled water, yes it should be fine.

misterpro said:
That's a way to treat your water if it has chlorine in it.  However contrary to what she states in that video, chloramine does not evaporate at all...  (Not even if you boil the water)

"Chloramine is a chemical compound of chlorine and ammonia. It does not dissipate or evaporate into the air as chlorine does. It is highly toxic and lethal to marine animals and fish. When in contact with organic materials in raw water, it creates toxic by-products".

I suppose it might work because it gets broken down (slowly) by UV light.  But if I had chloramines in my water supply I would not be willing to test it.

About the bottled water, yes it should be fine.

My tap water has chloramines in it.  It's an annoyance, but I just use Prime in every water change, and let the bio-filter do the job.

Most reactions

Back