Bottled Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
Hi just a quick and probably pointless question but, if I run out of tap safe, can I used bottled water? 
The reason I am asking is I have upped my water changes in my fry tank to 2 a day as they get fed about 3-4 times a day, brine shrimp in the morning and at night. The fry colours seem to be coming in faster this way but I am going through a lot of tapsafe. I am down to the last little bit and need to do a water change tonight but wont be able to get anymore tapsafe until friday. Can I use the bottled water I have since there's no chemicals in it? I have 2 big bottles. 

photo55_zps477a7b27.jpg

Thanks. 

My understanding has always been that if it is distilled it is safe for fish?

Theoretically, bottled water should be cleaner than tap.  However, where I live that is not the case, simply because my water department treats the hell out of the tap.

To answer your question, yes bottled water should be okay.  There are different kinds of bottled water, and they can be identified on the bottle.  Some waters have added minerals, mostly for flavor.  Distilled water is pure water, meaning only H2O, with small amounts of CO2 dissolved.  They should both be safe for fish.

Ah that's great. Thanks for the help guys :)

Can you tell if that bottled water came from Strathmore? If it did, you are good to go, its ph may be a bit off though as its very soft.

dgwebster said:
Can you tell if that bottled water came from Strathmore? If it did, you are good to go, its ph may be a bit off though as its very soft.

My water is soft too. It doesn't say where it was bottled. The interesting thing is, my ph in the main tank is barely 6.6 but the PH in the fry tank is around 6.8 Is it to do with temperature? The main tank is 24 where as the fry tank is 29-30. It comes from the same tap! 
Another interesting thing is, I just tested the tap water, it's between 6.4 and 6.6. I tested the bottled water and it's about 6.6. So why is the fry tank so high?

Ive not really known a temp difference like that to change the ph but I have seen it from different substrates, decor etc.

Ps once those bottles are empty: 5 cartons of tesco value apple juice (the breakfast stuff), yeast, sugar, 2 weeks, bottle cider, 2 weeks drink. Those bottles are good for brewing in ;)

dgwebster said:
Ive not really known a temp difference like that to change the ph but I have seen it from different substrates, decor etc.

Ps once those bottles are empty: 5 cartons of tesco value apple juice (the breakfast stuff), yeast, sugar, 2 weeks, bottle cider, 2 weeks drink. Those bottles are good for brewing in
wink.png

lmao I don't drink cider :p pina colada anyone 
hehe.gif

The fry tank has 3 pieces of mopani wood in it, the main tank just has a branch from outside. Like to have space for the cories. Maybe that's why?

just double check on the ingredients of the bottled water never used it but i presume if can be used, i don't think they are chlorine or that stuff to it, should be good to use, btw bottled water is not distilled water, i have been trying to find distilled water for my water cooling on my pc but cant find it anywhere in shops ended up using ionised water but ye

just a bit of topic but whats the difference between RO water and distilled water?

dgwebster said:
Use grape juice, bingo you have wine
wink.png
I don't like wine either :p yes i'm so fussy lol

Zikofski said:
just double check on the ingredients of the bottled water never used it but i presume if can be used, i don't think they are chlorine or that stuff to it, should be good to use, btw bottled water is not distilled water, i have been trying to find distilled water for my water cooling on my pc but cant find it anywhere in shops ended up using ionised water but ye

just a bit of topic but whats the difference between RO water and distilled water?

There's no ingredients, it's just pure scottish water. Nothing added. 
photo56_zpsb20ab0a3.jpg

That's it. It's too late now! After giving the fry their 2nd helping of brine shrimp, did the water change, added the bottled water and lights out. 
Tomorrow will tell...

Just use seachem prime and you'll never have to worry about running out...

On the link if you look to the right there's an advertisement for seachem prime, most viewed products. I live in the states but I'm sure you can find it on amazon. I've been using the same 500ml bottle for about a year now on 6 tanks.

Noahsfish said:
On the link if you look to the right there's an advertisement for seachem prime, most viewed products. I live in the states but I'm sure you can find it on amazon. I've been using the same 500ml bottle for about a year now on 6 tanks.

WHAT??? no way! That bottle in the link is what I use, the last time I bought it was in march, so it's not too bad it's lasted me 4 months or so. I thought that was quite good as it's a big bottle but soon adds up when delivery takes it upto £10/£11 a time. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back