Bored already with fish. Is that normal?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Hi, I donā€™t usually get fish like those and I get fish that are interesting and weird so that way Iā€™m not bored. Itā€™s so cool to see all the different fish interacting with each other and their tank in various ways

We live together. But I feel better now. Was worried I would be harshly judged by the folks in here - especially considering how having an aquarium was a life-long dream of mine and not my boyfriend's. Thanks, all.
If it was your idea and you like the idea of fish, then just change things around. A green, blue or black picture on the back would allow the current fish to contrast better and make them stand out more.

Adding floating plants and allowing them to breed might spark your interest, especially when you see the little babies.

Get some different fish like dwarf cichlids, small rainbows or killi fish. If you don't want to go that route, get some male guppies so they are bright and colourful.

get a cat;)
compromise, get a cat fish :)

I have to admit that it is easier to pet my dog or cat than a fish. They also respond more to me than my fish. But they all act the same way at feeding time. Some people are fish people and some are not. As @JxsPxxle and @Colin_T suggested you could change things or add something new. Just watching your fish can be a calming activity in this rush-rush world. :fish:

Yes, I fully agree....
Watching your fish is very therapeutic and it gives you a calming effect...especially when you watch a big group of schooling fish swimming together or a beautiful big fish that keeps flapping its fins...

We got our very own first platys on January 17, 2019. 4 of them. Two male, two female. Added a white mikey mouse two weeks later, which resulted in the demise of she and one of the male platys.

Now that we are no longer worried about another fish dying, or one of the females being pregnant, [I don't like pregnant things and we can't afford a bigger tank for the fry that would result], I am wondering - privately [the aquarium is a gift from the boyfriend and he works hard to maintain it] if that is it. You do all these things for the fish, spend all this money [at first anyway], and the most they give back is follow you around the aquarium when it is feeding time?

I am not a dog person - hate needy things. But I certainly hoped there would be more to it than this.

Is this normal behavior? Does it go away? Or should I get myself a cat?
Maybe pets are not for you.
Many people on here do this as a hobby, which I do I like the fact that I can take care of them and raise their fry. It is kind of amazing especially if u get the chance to witness the birth

Try getting a social pet if you do get one. Maybe a parrot or parakeet? Parakeets are super cool, I wish I had one. :)

I started keeping fish when i felt like my life was out of control and spiralling downward. Having fish gave me something to constantly look after and while i couldnt control this mini environmemt in a glass box in my basement i felt like i could manage it better than my life. Fish/aquatic plant keeping was very therapeutic for me. Now that i have 3 out of control crazy kids my fishtank again is the one thing in my life i can escape to manage just a little. I also have a cat he controls me;)

I started keeping fish when i felt like my life was out of control and spiralling downward. Having fish gave me something to constantly look after and while i couldnt control this mini environmemt in a glass box in my basement i felt like i could manage it better than my life. Fish/aquatic plant keeping was very therapeutic for me. Now that i have 3 out of control crazy kids my fishtank again is the one thing in my life i can escape to manage just a little. I also have a cat he controls me;)
This is true, a lot of people find fish soothing, especially large school fish. (Neon Tetras, Cardinal tetras, etc.)

In my opinion, keeping other animals as pet require more works than keeping fish..
For example, if you keep a dog, you have to shower it frequently and you have to bring it out for walk.
And the most difficult part is to toilet train it and to clean up its poo.

If you keep a bird (I used to keep bird), its feathers may cause allergy to some people. And the worst part is during the SARS(bird flu) period where everyone is scared of it.

Usually the bigger the animals, the more work will be required in keeping them.
That's why I still prefer to keep fish or aquatic animals over other animals as pet.

Btw, sorry if I may discourage some of you for saying all these.

I never get bored of the fish (get bored with all the maintenance that goes with it). I have a number of loaches. My favorite is a Dojo loach but your tank isn't big enough. You could get by with a couple of Kubotai Loaches that are much smaller. Also get an air stone and air hose and place it against a wall of the tank (it's best if it's surrounded somewhat by plants. You will find the Loaches love that bubble machine and will dive in and ride it to the top, swim down and do it again. This can go on for an hour - they even seem to take turns. Then they'll sleep for about 3 hours LOL. If you LOOK for it many fish have some very interesting behaviors - but just walking by them isn't going to get you anything. Your boyfriend seems like a good guy - help him out with water changes, picking out aquatic plants, testing the water etc. There is a lot more to fishkeeping than just looking at them as you walk by - sit down and really watch them.

Watch this interesting video by Ivan Mikolji about the fish, flora and fauna in Venezuela...

Fish and aquatic flora, fauna are the one of most interesting....
You will never get bored in watching this video... I watched it many times...

Pantanal river..

Rio Negro...

Ivan Mikolji - The Sargassum Boy

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back