Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,

Hoping to get some advice for my bolivian ram. First off here are stats:
75 gallon, weekly 20-25% water changes
Temp 75
A – 0, N- 0, Ntrate- 10-20ppm, PH 8.0
I have had him/her for since Sept 2012.
Housed with Cardinal Tetras, Black Neon Tetras and one other bolivian ram.
No new tank additions since last year april 2013.

I’ve had no issues with rams up to this point. The one has a white spot which looked like it has formed ( been there about a week ) on the nostril.  I would have guessed this ram to be the healthier of the two rams as it is always fist to come out and eat, larger, and more energetic. My wife also said she noticed it twitching in the face a couple times, but not sure if that is anything.

I did have what I surmised to be a fish fungus with 3 of my black neon tetras about 8 months ago and moved them to a hospital tank to treat with Maracyrn. They are back in main tank and seem to be doing fine.

Do have hospital tank set up.  Hospital tank is a 5 gallon and is cycled. Dose 2ppm of ammonia once a week. HOB filter. Temp kept around 80.

Was thinking of moving bolivian to the hospital tank and treating as the spot seems to have gotten brighter. My concern is always causing stress my moving to hospital tank but the spot has been there a week and seems to be something.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Pics below…

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 141
Going on a total guess here because I have not seen anything like that before. It does not look like HITH which is good. Do you have fine sand substrate?? I am thinking there is some obstruction in his nare (nostril) which is causing him to flick to try to remove it and the whiteness is an infection due to the obstruction. If you can remove him to a separate tank do so and treat with an antibacterial medication. Hopefully if it is a bit of sand it should work its way out again.

Thank you for the reply Star.  Actually this tank is a bare bottom tank.  As far as something that could have impacted his nostril, I am not sure.  What is a recommended antibacterial medication?

hmmm blows my guess, but it still could possibly be some sort of infection in the nostril. Where are you? I only know UK meds.

UK antibacterial 

Myaxazin - pretty good used it before. Made by waterlife
Antibacterial no. 9 - by interpet used before it did the job
NT labs antibacterial - I havnt used this one personally
Melafix - better on open wounds though

Either of the first two try see how he goes (only 1 not both together though). Sorry I dont have a confirmed diagnosis :(

Thanks Star ,

I am over in the US.  I will look up those medications to see what I can find. 

Puzzling to me as well.  Still very active and eating like always.  I will keep you posted.  I appreciate your help.

jb

Sorry jb it doesnt say where you are :). look for Maracyn I have seen this recommended before.

Sorry Star,
I just updated location.  I have some Maracyn and will take a look at it this evening.
Jb

Fingers crossed it works, good luck :)

Hey Star,

Quick update.  I have not moved the ram to the hospital tank yet.  The color of the spot has faded and still no change in personality.  I will add some pics this weekend, but keeping my fingers crossed that things will get better on there own.

Thanks,
jb

Some extra water changes would not do any harm, clean water is a great healer with things like this.

For me it looks like HITD. What makes u think otherwise? pH 8 and I guess pretty hard water is not what rams like...

Hey Hobby,

I am sorry but not sure what HITD stands for? 
Thanks,
Jb

JB>  Hobby means HITH  (hole in the head).

Hobby> What makes me think otherwise it is an unusual place for HITH to start, it is usually in the sensory pits rather than the nares, and for a mark of that size I would expect to see more than one hole of similar size or smaller on the head or gill plates. Having treated fish with HITH before at various stages it does not look like it to me, at this stage. HITH is usually found with poor water quality, as JB has posted the stats it also seems unlikely to be HITH. I am aware HITH can be caused by stress, JB also states there has been no other changes in the tank which would cause stress. These factors being ruled out made me think otherwise. Just to clarify why I have experience with spotting HITH I rescue and keep cichlids, many come to me with early signs of HITH. I hope this puts your mind at rest :)

Thanks Star - should have realized that.  I have not dealt with that problem in the past but will take a look at it.  I meant to post some pics today , but will get to it soon to show update. 
jb

Are there any changes to the nostril?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back