Bolivian Ram Sexing And Behavior (Pictures Included)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NorthEastFisherman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Just the other day i picked up my second bolivian ram which i think is a male. The bolivian i have now is what looks like a female. I wanted another ram so my other ram would feel more comfortable with its same species and would be more active (its a little bit active now its just a bit shy). The most recent ram i bought which i think is the male goes up to the other ram which i thinks the female and shows off his bite infront of her. When the female sees this she usually swims away and goes on with her day. He does this every 15 minutes or so. They kinda seem like theyre fighting sometimes but it only lasts for 1-3 seconds and then the stop and the female swims away like i said. Im not too sure what theyre doing, maybe the male is showing off to the female and trying to get her attention but she doesnt want the attention and swims away? They dont really get close to eachother that often unless the male swims up t her and trys showing off like i said. So you probably will want to know my setup and all that good stuff. My tank is fully cycled and has a pH of 7.4 (can't be lowered due to the sand i have). My tank is semi-blackwater because of the extract i add in it and the wood i recently added (Dont think its bog, i think its just regular aquatic wood so doesnt help with blackwater). My tank is a 29 Gallon tropical and its temperature is usually 76 degree farenheit (changes depending on room temp). I have a bunch of plants floating and planted. Lots of cover and hiding spots for my fish.

The fish i have are:
1 Gold Gourami (male)
1 Rainbow Shark (unknown gender)
2 Bolivian Rams (male and female I THINK)
1 Neon Tetra (unknown gender)
5 Glowlight Tetras (unknown gender)
1 Von Rio Flame Tetra (unknown gender)

Ill be adding:
4-6 (Probably 4) Pygmy Cory Cats (mixed genders)
3-4 Neon Tetras (mixed genders)
1 Von Rio Flame Tetra (Im picking the healthiest one, no certain gender)

So what i would like to know is do you think my set up is good for these rams and what gender are the rams. Any help would be appreciated. Also the newest ram was bought a day ago 2/13/13 so its possible to return incase its not the correct species and will soon become an issue (I have 7 days to return the fish, final day is 2/20/13). So here are the pictures (The "male" ram is a bit discolored because i just got him the other day):

Picture of the tank:
5rw0je2.jpg

These are the pictures of what i believe is the female Bolivian Ram:
qIHge1K.jpg

s6acfrH.jpg

lCJ30hZ.jpg

These are the pictures of what i believe is the male Bolivian Ram:
PtEtU9e.jpg

Kz4bZEn.jpg

uYwdDPQ.jpg

wnbA7J5.jpg

If you need more pictures tell me and i can easily get some. I could also try to get a video and upload it if you need one as well.

I would guess that you got yourself a second female but one cannot be sure except by examining the ventricle tube, which is bulbous in females and pointed and swept back in males.  There are a number of other signs as well, but this one is the only one that is sure.  Check out these threads for more information:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/412463-can-you-sex-my-rams-please/

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/413760-help-sex-my-new-bolivians/

Anyway, as they are territorial, what you are seeing is probably some bullying during the reestablishment of territories.  Will quite down for the most part.

Secondly, all your schooling fish really need to be keep in groups of 6 at least.  More is always preferable.  So that means 6 neons, not 4 or 5.  Same goes with the Von Rio tetras.  And really, in both cases 10 would be more effective than 6 as the schooling instinct only gets stronger as the shoal grows.

Thirdly, you may have to remove the rainbow shark as it is generally deemed to need a four foot tank.  And they become belligerent as they grow older, especially to bottom dwelling fish like your rams.

And lastly, it seems like your first female's head is "bent down" and that she is pretty thin, compared to the second... Not sure what to say about that... just looks a little off in comparison. Might be a birth defect.  Maybe someone else can comment on that.

But the tank looks pretty good.

Thanks for your advice. The neons and glowlight school together so they add up to 10 but the von rios are going to be two because the one i have is swimming with the rams so getting another should stop this so the two stick together. If i had more room id love to get more of them but obviously i dont have the space. And the picture of that ram kinda makes it look like shes bent but hes normal looking in preson. And lastly the female (or so i think) doesnt have a bump or vent near her anal fin but the newer one i bought has one thats why i think hes a male and shes a female. As long as the two get along i dont mid what gender they are. Btw sorry if there is alot of mispelling im typing on my phone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back