Bolivian Ram Bulling My 4 Peppered Cory/ Advice On Using My Qt Tank

captaincrash84

New Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Edinburgh
Hi,

I have a Bolivian ram in with my 4 peppered cory (125 Litre tank) and i've noticed over the last few days that he has been really picking on them. He was doing it to a couple of the new ones but i just put that down to that they were new but now he picks on all 4 of them. The oldest of the 2 were never really that bothered by him even when he would peck at them but they would just keep going about their business but now as soon as he comes near them and starts to be aggressive they shoot across the tank. Feeding time is also a problem as they all eat the same stuff and normally the corys take their time to find their food and if they come across some near the Bolivian he goes nuts and really goes for them!

I have in the tank a big cave, a medium hollow log (2 when the new one turns up), Squidwards house and the Krusty Krab (both small hiding place but he house is hollow all the way to the top). I also have a group of 4 artificial plants but looking too double that.

I could put him into my QT tank (there are some fish recovering from Ich but all spots are gone so fingers crossed that they are all better soon) as I'm considering keeping it up as a perm tank as my son wants to look after the small tank then as he grows too big for the tank move him back to see if its any better but that means I rather have to get another small tank to use as a QT or use my QT 60 litre tank as a mini tank for him and to also QT any new fish but run the risk of harming any small fish I get for him. I am considering getting a 200 Litre tank next year but i think i might be pushing it with my partner to have all 3 set up so it would be only a 125 L and 200 L set up.

I'm not quite sure what to do with the bolivian or the QT tank so any useful advice is appreciated

Thanks
 
It might be a good idea to get another bolivian ram. It could keep your one amused and have a friend.
 
I agree with joolsA2, i was advised to keep rams in a pair, also the coies are better when there more could you up to 1 more ram and 2 more cories? :good:
 
I did have 2 bolivian rams but 1 died after a week (i think due to being bullied by the other as i saw them "kiss" on numerous occasions but can't prove it, there wasn't any other suspects and he seemed to be fine except when is friend was near him).

I have thought about getting more cory but i've been distracted with fish being sick/fighting and i'm just not sure what setup I actually want and what stock I want that will be compatible with everyone.

I got lucky getting the 2 rams and everytime i've been to the pet shop since they dont have them and i've asked and he said he doesn't get them in that often.
 
Hi captaincrash84 :)

Whatever you decide to do, please don't waste any time getting the corys away from the ram. Corys are totally peaceful fish that have no way at all to defend themselves from more aggressive tankmates. The stress of trying to hide and avoid them is enough to weaken their immune systems and make them more prone to illness. Aggressive cichlids have also been known to pick their eyes out.
 
Hi captaincrash84 :)

Whatever you decide to do, please don't waste any time getting the corys away from the ram. Corys are totally peaceful fish that have no way at all to defend themselves from more aggressive tankmates. The stress of trying to hide and avoid them is enough to weaken their immune systems and make them more prone to illness. Aggressive cichlids have also been known to pick their eyes out.


Well I had to move him cos my biggest cory didn't get a thing to eat last night cos as soon as he found food the Bolivian had been following him and once it found it bullied it out the way and stole the food. it got to the point that as soon as Bolivian got near all I would see was the corys shooting right to the opposite of the tank.

I think i'm gonna try and pick up a couple more cory and then decide what I'm gonna stock for mid level and I also put forward that maybe next year I could get a 200L tank and I got a "maybe" so she never shot it down so that's a start :lol: but I will not be allowed to run the 60 L it will only be allowed to be used as a QT as and when needed as I told her about running alittle air driven filter in the big tank and take it out as and when needed and it seemed to have some effect! Does anyone know a good tank for around £300 or under? I looked at seapets and saw the one up from mine Fluval Roma 200 ( I have the Roma 125)and that was £309 but if I could get a cheaper one that does the same job I can show her the more expensive one and then the cheaper one and hopefully she will agree! :lol:

If anyone has any good sugestions for mid/top level fish please say! (I Don't want guppies,neons or glowlights)

Thanks
 
Hi captaincrash84 :)

I'm happy to hear that you separated them. The corys will enjoy having some of their own species (or even another cory species) in there too.

Is there any chance that you could buy or build a stand that would hold both tanks? This wouldn't take up any more space, might cost less in the long run, and (when you're not in the middle of doing a water change) makes a very attractive display. My stands are iron and very sturdy.

Waterchanges.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top