Boesemani Rainbow : male or female

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mlist84

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Could someone help me identify if my one and only boesemani rainbow fish is male or female ?

The fish has been with me for about 2 months. Size about 1-1.3 inches. My concern is that the color does not seem to pop out like those what i saw on the web. I also attached the picture of my tank. Any inputs in general and in particular for boesemani would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Happy fish keeping! Stress buster during this pandemic era 😌

Attachments

• 20210803_195930.jpg
    20210803_195930.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 3,457
  • 20210803_195820.jpg
    20210803_195820.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210803_130511.jpg
    20210803_130511.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210802_165422.jpg
    20210802_165422.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 101
Hi there,
Are you sure it is a Melanotaenia boesemanni ?? If yes I tend toward female that are silver-colored with emerald iridescent refections.
This fish is gregarious so shouldn't live alone of its species.

Hi there,
Are you sure it is a Melanotaenia boesemanni ?? If yes I tend toward female that are silver-colored with emerald iridescent refections.
This fish is gregarious so shouldn't live alone of its species.
Thank you!

Would you be so kind to help me identifying the fish? Any guesses would be great.

Thank you!

Would you be so kind to help me identifying the fish? Any guesses would be great.
You're welcome ;)
It is a Melanotaenia, probably a female OR maybe a male fluviatilis, nigrans, papuae, that are much less coloured compared to boesemani, parkinsoni, parva, etc.
That said, there are nowadays so many hydrids and coloured variants.....
Considering boesemani is the most common Melanotaenia I tend again to a female.

It's a juvenile Melanotaenia boesemani. Due to its age and size it could be a female or a young male that hasn't matured yet. Most of the bigger rainbowfish don't mature until they are 2 inches long and 3+ months old. Males will develop the blue/ purple on the front half of the body and yellow on the rear half. Females and juveniles look like the fish in the pictures.

The following link has all the known species of Australian & New Guinea rainbowfishes and is worth a look if you keep rainbows.

------------------
Any idea if your fish is wild caught or captive bred?

All rainbowfish should be kept in groups of 6 or more (preferably 8-10+). You can mix different species together but try to have fish that grow to the same size. Melanotaenia boesemani can reach 4 inches in length (not including the tail). Females are usually a bit smaller.

All rainbowfish need lots of plant matter in their diet. You can keep Duckweed (a floating plant) in the tank for them to eat, but they will also pick at algae and soft leaf plants like Ambulia. This is good for them so put some live plants in for them.

You can use plant based fish foods too. Goldfish food and vege flakes/ pellets are good for rainbowfish like Melanotaenia boesemani.

I'm not sure how big the tank is but Melanotaenia boesemani do best in aquariums that are at least 3 feet long. Try to keep the pH above 7.0 and the GH above 200ppm. The other fishes in the tank (cardinal tetras & danios) come from soft water with a GH below 100ppm and a pH below 7.0. For best long term results, you should get a separate tank for the rainbowfish and give them the conditions they need.

The other reason to separate the rainbowfish is because they will eat small narrow fish like cardinal tetras. We found this out many years ago in the shop when we put 20 x 2 inch long Melanotaenia boesemani into a 6 foot tank that contained about 50 cardinal tetras. They were fine for a couple of days and then one day we noticed the M. boesemani had the cardinal tetras trapped in a corner and were attacking and eating them.

I hope it's not a wild catch as its IUCN Red List Status is ENdangered.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back