Blue Fish

oakes

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New South Wales, Australia
hi, i have had the community listed below together for some time now and they all get on well. I love the firemouths they are the main feature of the tank, but it is not a breeding tank. I would like to get some blue colour in there, can anyone think of some blue fish species that might suit? I would prefer just a single fish that doesn't need to be kept in a school.
 
Blue Dolphin Cichlid
Blue Acara Cichlid
Powder Blue Cichlid
3 Spot or Opaline Gourami's are blue, also the Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
A shoal of King Blue Tetra [I know you said single fish]
 
Are blue dolphins African cichlids Mel? If so, then I wouldnt mix them with SA cichlids.

Blue acara would be a good choice for that size tank in regards to SA?CA cichlids. I would also say a blue texas (like mine) would be good but (and this is a big but!) could be too aggressive, although if you get it small you might get away with it. Or you might not.
 
Crytocara/ Cyrtocara? moorii (blue dolphin) is an African rift lake cichlid but will be fine in water with a PH of 7.4-8.5, especially if they are locally bred.
Any blue peacock cichlid, again African rift lake but tolerant of slightly alkaline water if local bred. Also electric blue cichlids (something ahli) can be treated the same as peacocks if local bred.

You should get a few more gold barbs because they are schooling fish that do best in groups.

You could get 6 Melanotaenia lacustris or M. praecox. However, the M. praecox might get eaten by the firemouths depending on their temperament.
 
Ah ok, thanks colin, not big on African cichlids (in fact I know nothing), but I didnt think you could mix the african and SA or is the dolphin a non aggressive species?
 
South American cichlids generally come from soft slightly acid water but do equally well in harder water with an alkaline PH if they are local bred. The blue dolphin cichlid (C. moorii) is pretty peaceful for a cichlid and can be kept with most fish.
 
Hey what about a couple blue female bettas! Duh! Haha jk. I've found female bettas come in almost any color. I have 1 steel blue and 1 dark blue
 
you could get some blue moscow guppies they are queit good fish but you would have to get three of them

regards

ben
 
Hi, just a thank you for all the suggestions.
My LFS happened to have some small blue dolphins so i bought one and he/she has settled in nicely. If it eventually gets too big or doesn't get on with my firemouths i will look at some of the other suggestions.
A couple of blue female bettas was a suggestion i hadn't thought of and was worth considering, and the praecox are little beauties, but i was really more interested in a larger single display fish.
A blue acara would probably be the most ideal cichlid species for mixing with firemouths, but the ones around here don't seem to be very good quality and are just a muted greyish blue colour with a bit of light spangling. Nothing like the ones i used to see years ago.
Anyway cheers,
Glenn
 

Most reactions

Back
Top