Blue Dwarf Gourami's looking bloated

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goody330

Reaction score
Please can anyone help my Gourami's I have had them for a while they have both been in the tank from the beginning and been fit and healthy throughout this time. However I left them for a few days over Christmas and noticed this morning that they both look bloated and seem a little lethargic. The only recent change to the tank has been a holiday feeding 'pyramid' as I wanted them to have food when i was away. I hope someone can advise me on a way to help them. I noticed the GH was a bit high (>21) when i got back so did a 25% change. The below are from the tank after the change.

Tank size: 100l
pH: 6.8-7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: <25
kH: 6
gH: >14
tank temp: 24ºC

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Both blue Gourami's look bloted as in the picture below

Volume and Frequency of water changes: - weekly 25% changes so far

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: - I just use the basic water conditioner when i do the changes,

Tank inhabitants: 2 blue dwarf gourami, 2 honey gourami, 2 ram cichlid, 3 albino Cory Catfish

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): just the holiday feeding block (I have removed this) (Aquarian Holiday Feeding block)

Exposure to chemicals: - N/A

Digital photo (include if possible):

Attachments

• IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 367
They are also doing a lot of long white stringy poos

They are also doing a lot of long white stringy poos
They could have overfed on the feeding block. I suggest three to four days of fasting and see if the swelling goes down on its own. If it doesn't you have other options to consider. The white stringy poo can be a sign of stress caused by the constipation and your fish just needs to let it out. If the fish doesn't go down in size after a few days you maybe looking at an internal parasite infection if the poo remains white and stringy even after the constipation is gone. Just wait a few days and withhold food to see if the problem solves itself. The bad thing about those food stones/automatic feeders is they tend to allow fish to overfeed, and fish are opportunistic eaters and will gorge when they can.

Thanks for the quick reply, I hope it is something like that and nothing more serious, I'll keep an eye on them over the next few days and post an update. Is there an easy way to feed the other fish in the tank without them getting any or do you think i should just give them all a break from food for a day or two?

Update: this morning I've come downstairs and my female Honey Gourami also appears to be bloated in a similar way to the dwarf's. She looked fine yesterday, is this also likely to be constipation or is it more likely there is something else going on like the parasites you mentioned?

No treat for paarasites / worms.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

I have treated the tank with Parasite medication this afternoon. Unfortunately the female pictured above has just died, I'm quite sad about it as this was one of the first fish i owned. I hope the others will be able to make it through

awww sorry to hear

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

The male is hanging on but not looking too good this morning.

I'm now worried about the female Honey Gourami. she is looking a little fatter but i'm not sure it's the same as the 2 blue dwarf's.

My Male Honey has started changing colour and in another thread it was thought he was changing to mating colours. Do you think the female is starting to produce eggs which is why she is getting fatter or is she sick as well?

Any thoughts on this are welcome.

images for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 282
The Male Blue Dwarf Gourami has also passed away now.

Any ideas about the female honey gourami?

Also i dosed the tank with a parasite treatment that needs 2 applications 4 days apart. Would you guys recommend giving the fish in the tank the 2nd dose even if the ones that were sick are no longer in there or would you leave things as they are?

The Male Blue Dwarf Gourami has also passed away now.

Any ideas about the female honey gourami?

Also i dosed the tank with a parasite treatment that needs 2 applications 4 days apart. Would you guys recommend giving the fish in the tank the 2nd dose even if the ones that were sick are no longer in there or would you leave things as they are?

Did the female honey gourami live on to swim another day?? I know this post was quite a while ago but just I'm new to the fish world so a bit interested in how it turned out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back