Bloated Frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kitch

Reaction score
I have taken on two albino african clawed frogs from a friend of mine, who could no longer look after them, due to having to move away. They are both 6 years old. They are both bloated, from what I have read about this online this can be quite serious, however my friend told me they have both been like this for the last 2 years. Is there anyway to help the boating go away? I've read you can add salt to the water, but there is no mention to what quantities of water to salt? I've also read you can syringe them, but I wont be very confident doing so. I am planning on varying their diet with fish and garden worms too, previously they we're fed solely on bloodworm and fish flakes, could someone recommend other things to feed them too?

I keep African Dwarf Frogs rather than the clawed frogs, but i assume their diet is similar.
I dont know what you may be able to do about it, but from what i know, the bloating would have been caused from their diet. Fish flakes are not frog food and they should not be given them in their diet. Along with freeze-dried foods, these will cause your frogs to bloat.
Frozen foods such as bloodworms, krill etc should be given as treat while their staple diet should consist of pellets; hbh frog and tadpole bites, Zoo Med Aquatic Frog & Tadpole Food and broken up pieces of reptomin reptomin are often recommended.
I'd suggest to change their diet as soon as possible.

here is a link that will help you learn how to properly give salt baths, and other links also help with diet and tank requirements - - I am sorry I dont have time to type a more helpful response right now but am running out - -I will come back later and try to help out more

African clawed frog treatment for bloat

any chance of getting pictures of the frogs?... by a species they are a fat frog, seeing a picture will help us determine the severity of your frogs bloat or possibly obesity - - its really hard to give a proper diagnose with out a picture. try getting pictures from above and beside the frog so we can see it clearly :good:

Thanks for the replies so far, please remember I have taken these on from someone else who could not longer look after them. The frogs are how they are due to someone else caring for them not me. I am simply trying to find out how best to care for them and how to improve their welfare.

He are pictures of the pair.

CIMG1008.jpg

CIMG1007.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far, please remember I have taken these on from someone else who could not longer look after them. The frogs are how they are due to someone else caring for them not me. I am simply trying to find out how best to care for them and how to improve their welfare.

He are pictures of the pair.

CIMG1008.jpg

CIMG1007.jpg

I know nothing about frogs I'm just reading this out of interest. t's good you are trying to help them. They look more than just fat to me, they don't look right at all. Hopefully you will get some advice on what to do. I found this online:

Bloating Disease - common affliction of African Clawed and African Dwarf clawed frogs. Bloating Disease as it is often referred to is when large amounts of fluids collect in the abdomen, legs and chin of the frog giving the frog the appearance of a blown up latex rubber glove. The frog can live with this condition for a short period of time but soon the frog will stop eating and become buoyant due to the pressure of the fluids on the internal organs. From my research I have discovered that it appears to be caused by the infection of a certain type of bacteria (still looking into exactly which type) which seems to affect the lymph ducts which drain the bodies fluids properly, the bacteria seems to block or stop function and ability of these ducts which leads to the accumulation of large amounts of fluid. This fluid can naturally be broken down by the frogs body if proper conditions or medication is administered. Aquarium salt and Anti-Internal Bacterial tropical fish remedy has appeared to be successful. Some accounts have shown that a pure diet of bloodworm can often lead to BD, especially in ADFs. This is perhaps because the bacteria which causes BD may be present in the digestive tract or epidermis of the bloodworms.

I read about the syringe thing too like you said you have. I would be scared to do it too but maybe you will have to to give them some relief. Hopefully someone can advise you on what to do.

I also found someone said this:

With some bloated frogs, the only option is to do an aspiration.
One inserts an insulin needle just under the skin near the belly/leg area,
and withdraw fluid slowly. This has to be done with the frog out of the water obviously.
It can be tricky,so if you wish to do it, we will do our best to help.

I have to aspirate my ADF about once every few months, and she does ok with it.
I've done this many times, and it's not as hard as it sounds,
but you do have to really be strong to keep the ACF from moving. They are very strong.

Epson salt can remove fluid, but I never had much luck with it.
The only way which worked for me was using the aspiration method.

I do not recommend using a needle yourself unless you have been properly guided by a vet - the chances of something going wrong are quite high and the last thing you want to do is make things worse!

clean clean clean water and a proper diet are very helpful...

along with daily salt baths to keep the bloat from progressing and hopefully to make it start receding.

did you have a chance to read through the link I gave about salt baths? it is a very cheap and simple procedure.

Thanks very much for all the advice guys. I will start treatment of salt baths asap and vary their diet. I will keep you informed and let you know how it goes. once again thanks for the help and advice

Thanks very much for all the advice guys. I will start treatment of salt baths asap and vary their diet. I will keep you informed and let you know how it goes. once again thanks for the help and advice

I hope it goes ok

You've just helped me too! One of my ADFs has been like this for a week or so, and now I know what it is I can try to do something about it. Thanks!

Hope your froggys all turn out ok!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back