Bloated Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

William Hlas

Reaction score
My gold twinned barred platy, like I said before, is still bloated! My ammonia levels are at 0, my nitrate levels are 0, my pH levels are at 7. My tank size is a 29 gallon fish tank and has been set up for 3 months. Anyways my fish isn't acting weird at all and is swimming fine but it doesn't look pleasant. I don't know if he ate to much, has dropsy, or have an internal parasite. Any ideas what is happening?

Attachments

• 320804_273740169327907_100000757772048_675923_2071075194_n.jpg
    320804_273740169327907_100000757772048_675923_2071075194_n.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 32
A red wag platy would, yes, and if it is a female, and she has been exposed to a male at any point past maturity, she can store sperm from one mating and birth fry for up to 6 months. (once a month for 6 months roughly)

It looks like a pregnant female platy to me :blush: based on this picture

A red wag platy would, yes, and if it is a female, and she has been exposed to a male at any point past maturity, she can store sperm from one mating and birth fry for up to 6 months. (once a month for 6 months roughly)
Yep, it's pregnant alright but I don't know if I should move her into a different tank for now. Would it be ok to have her fry in the tank she is living in or move her? Also my additional fish are 1 black molly, 1 red wag platy, 5 ghost shrimp, 5 albino cory catfish, 10 jumbo neon tetras, and 4 snails

You can move her to her own tank if you choose. Chances are, if there are not enough hiding places for the fry, they will be eaten. Try adding a lot of real or fake plants, and some flat slate the provide some cover for the babies, and you will have a few survivors. If you tyr to save them all, you will become over populated and overstocked really fast. I do nothing to save mine, and right now I have 12 juveniles that are between 1-4 months old.

You can move her to her own tank if you choose. Chances are, if there are not enough hiding places for the fry, they will be eaten. Try adding a lot of real or fake plants, and some flat slate the provide some cover for the babies, and you will have a few survivors. If you tyr to save them all, you will become over populated and overstocked really fast. I do nothing to save mine, and right now I have 12 juveniles that are between 1-4 months old.
Here's a pic of my fish tank...They could have a lot of hiding places. :good:

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 47
You do seem to have a few hiding places for the fry but if the adult can fit in there, which it looks like they might do, they'll probably be eaten. Try a long, flat piece of slate and prop it up at one end so there is a tiny tiny gap, just big enough for fry. This works and has worked well for me in the past.

These are some of my "hidey" holes for my newborns. It works pretty well I think. But I am almost close to capacity, so I kinda hope some of my babies won't make it lol

DSCN3202.jpg

DSCN3203.jpg

DSCN3097.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back