Bloated African Dwarf Frog

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have an african dwarf frog that is rather bloated and he his spending much more time at the surface than he usually does. I am worried he's suck or are a rock but I'm not sure. Is there anything I can do to help him? Or will he just die?
The tank is rather tall(24 inches) and I could try to move him to a smaller tank if that could be causing the issue.

Attachments

• PXL_20210423_020420638.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210423_020420638.MP.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 733
I could try that. He really just eats fish food and bloodworms that find its way down to him.
How long have you had him? Are the bloodworms live, frozen or freeze dried? If they are freeze dried, do you soak them before feeding? Is the fish food flakes or pellets?

Oh, oops sorry I thought you said freeze dried.

You said you thought it may have swallowed a rock?
That was something I read that could cause the bloating. I have small rocks scatted in my sand for decoration. Some are definitely small enough to fit in his mouth. Not sure tho just something I read it could be.

Ugh poor thing - that looks like many of us after a holiday meal. I do hope it's a case of too much freeze dried and it's ok after today. If it is a case of food bloat, definitely heed the other's advise - soak then feed. Sending good wishes to the little frog.

I don't have experience in keeping aquatic frogs, but if it is general bloat, from what i have read people tried bathing them in epsom salt. They have mentioned not to add the salt to the main aquarium, as it may be lethal but a salt bath may be fine to do. I'm hoping someone can confirm this, before taking this advise please.

Here is a link to an older thread that have had success from doing so, but since it is an old thread not sure of any new informarion about bathing them in salt.

Last edited:
Has he lost appetite or does he still eat. Have you noticed him struggling to swim?
I honestly have not seen him eat since I got him, he spends most of his time in a little caves so I don't see him a ton. When I see him swim he's still just as quick as normal. Swimming doesn't seem to be affected.

I don't have experience in keeping aquatic frogs, but if it is general bloat, from what i have read people tried bathing them in epsom salt. They have mentioned not to add the salt to the main aquarium, as it may be lethal but a salt bath may be fine to do. I'm hoping someone can confirm this, before taking this advise please.

Here is a link to an older thread that have had success from doing so, but since it is an old thread not sure of any new informarion about bathing them in salt.

I have done epsom salt before in the tank so I can try it with the frog. Didn't work last time but it was a different animal with a different issue so I'll try it for this.

Ugh poor thing - that looks like many of us after a holiday meal. I do hope it's a case of too much freeze dried and it's ok after today. If it is a case of food bloat, definitely heed the other's advise - soak then feed. Sending good wishes to the little frog.
Yeah I hope it's just food bloat

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back