Bloat in betta confusion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've posted a new thread in here like every day lol
So, I've mentioned this problem in a different post, but the focus was mostly on water parameters and fin fungus (I've fixed the cycle by adding filter media from my beefy 20 gallon and I've added a dechlorinator that also detoxifies nitrites and ammonia [which apparently is in my tap water], and the fin rot is on the mend, thanks guys!). For about a month now, my betta fish has been bloated, and has been getting increasingly more bloated every day. I've tried fasting him, feeding him bits of peas, completely removing freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp from his diet (I fed him those maybe once a week before that). Now, he is bloated enough that it's really starting to scare me. There a pictures below. I've done some research on my own, and I am very sure that it's not dropsy, since there is no pineconing and he's been bloated for a month. I don't think it's constipation, since I've seen him pooping, and he hasn't gotten skinnier when I've fasted him. I think it could maybe be a bacterial infection or a parasite/swim bladder disease, but other than the bout of fin fungus he's recovering from now, he's been acting completely normal, and swimming totally upright (swimming around the tank even when he doesn't know I'm in the room). The blue tips at the ends of his ventral fins are slightly muted (this is a sign he's unhealthy), but that's very recent and I'm assuming it's because of the fungal infection. I will say his poop has been sort of whitish, which I read is a sign of a parasite or bacterial infection, but I'm not sure. I bought "imagitarium bacterial infection remedy" which says it offers relief from swollen abdomen, but I want to know if I should use it or do something else. I can easily restart the cycle with media from my other tank if the medicine knocks out the bacteria.
bloat top view.jpg
constipation.jpg
bbq tank.jpg

The fish is starting to pinecone in the first picture (view of the fish from above). The scales are starting to stick out from the body.

If the fish is doing stringy white poop and the scales are sticking out, it has an internal bacterial infection. Generally there is no cure for this. However, some people claim success in treating it with Epsom salts and some people try anti-biotics.

I don't know what the ingredients are in the "imagitarium bacterial infection remedy", and it might help but it might not do anything.

In the second picture the fish is sunken in around the back of the head. This is an indication the fish is losing weight and muscle tissue. This could be related to the internal problem or old age, or possibly both.

You can try feeding the fish on raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp and see if that helps. Live brineshrimp, daphnia and small white worms can also be offered to him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back