FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Brinn2397

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I noticed my Gouramis coloring get progressively darker. I thought it was because he was getting older. Then I noticed he was swimming aimlessly bumping into the decorations also when I put flake food in the tank He would swim right past the food. I looked closer at him and saw that one of his eyes is completely cloudy and the other has a small white dot in the center. I thought I had parasites but I found they were Detritus worms. Iā€™m struggling getting rid of hair algae as well, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s the cause.

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

---------------------------
When fish go dark during the day, they are stressed by something in the water.

Cloudy eyes are normally caused by poor water quality and a dirty environment.

Test your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH and post the results (in numbers) here.

Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it unless the water flow is weak. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

image.jpg
6AA60931-E76C-4F16-886A-815BA21B7996.jpeg
12A7D565-5A91-4591-9F4D-5B64BC4E2CD2.jpeg
4CFDD6BD-FE41-4BAE-9990-D386F5FF0A2A.jpeg
I changed my filter media a little over a week ago. After I found worms Iā€™ve been doing religious water/ gravel vacs. I would really clean the gravel good and the next day Iā€™d notice a lot of way too much poop for doing a cleaning the day prior. I have a 40 gallon my angel fish and gourami are the biggest (about 3-3 1/2 in) 2 Cory cats, 2 guppies, 2 plecos, 1 red tailed shark and 1 angel ram( each one is no bigger than 2 1/2 inches) 1 shrimp and 3 nerite snails. (I donā€™t know if this info is useful)

The water reads 0 nitrite, 5-10 ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia.
I tried time after time to reduce the nitrate but Iā€™ve had no luck, I tested my tap water and found that it was high in nitrate

If these pictures donā€™t help I can try to get another

The white spot on the eye is excess mucous. The eye has been injured and the mucous is protecting the damaged area. Regular daily water changes and gravel cleaning should help the eye to heal without medication.

The fish is darker than normal and its tail is drooping.

If the fish is 3 inches long then its a female. The males have a long pointed dorsal (top) fin, whereas the females have a shorter rounded dorsal fin.

Are you treating the hair algae with anything?
If yes, you might be overdosing and poisoning the fish.

Okay gourami is definitely a female. Iā€™ll give that a try and see where it goes. Iā€™m not treating the algae with chemicals, Iā€™m manually removing it and I recently got moss balls to see if that helps.

Colin took the words out of my mouth regarding cloudiness. I agree with him that it is due to an injury and should clear up with clean water. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back