Blackmoors and goldfish

dead_letters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A few weeks ago i bought 3 new fish a blackmoor,a goldfish and a shubunkin.The man selling me the fish told me that i could'nt have goldfish with blackmoors because blackmoors get stressed out too much by the other fih swimming too fast.Ive always had blackmoors with goldfish and they've been ok,so is what he was saying true or has he got it wrong?

It is best not to keep them together as the faster swimming Common Goldfish can easily out compete the Fancies for food and can stress the fancy goldfish. So I would say good advice. :)

Hi
Got to agree with Ryan, I kept fancy goldfish for a while (black moors, lion heads etc) because of the shape of the tail they cannot swim very fast comparing to the common goldfish.
The guy at the pet store is giving you good advice.
Keep fancies with fancies and commons with commons.
Gold fish can live for 13 years or so if they are looked after properly, including fancies.
Good luck with your goldies.
Kaz

Yep in the correct conditions Goldfish should easily surpase 20 years and a good age can be up to 30-35 years. The oldest Goldfish on record was a Goldfish from Yorkshire at 43 years of age.

I'm not sure, but this might explain why I've never had a blackmoore live past about 1" long. THey always die for no apparent reason when I've had them for a week or so. THe last one lasted about a month. I thought it was going to be ok but then I found it half eaten when I cyponed the tank.
My tank's got tropical and goldfish in it. So the tropical darty fish would probably scare the blackmoore rather a lot.
And just so you don't think i'M a horrible mum, no one has ever told me not to keep blackies with goldies. I would never have tried otherwise. I did get told they can be hard to keep but never why. Now I think I know. :-(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back