Black Neon Tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Supersalmon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I saw some black neon tetras in a lfs and think they are gorgeous. I have a tank with platties, guppies, a zebra, 2 ancistrus and a betta and am looking for some shoaling fish. I am quite new to fish keeping and am looking for some shoaling fish. Are the black neons easy to care for? Also how many do I need for them to shoal? I have also heard that black neons aren't really neons at all, but a different species. Also do Cherry barbs shoal, as i have thought about getting them?

Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, (Black Neon Tetra), is a peaceful, understated, but in my opinion, highly desirable little fish - I'm glad you like them. They are a schooling species best kept in groups 5-6 or more. They are in the same family as Paracheirodon innesi, (Neon Tetra), but a different genus so are related, but not that closely. That said, their care and maintenance requirement is similar.

Cherry Barbs are not a schooling fish, indeed, males may fight. Best kept as a pair, or trio 1 male, 2 females.

Incidently - Zebra's are schooling fish as well - I note you have just 1. Alone, they can be right nasty fin nippers - just a heads up.

Thanks,
Hope to get more zebras at the weekend, had 3 but lost 2. Is my water too alkaline for black neons pH is 7.6? If it is can you suggest any other peaceful shoaling fish? Think I will leave the cherry barbs out.

>>> Is my water too alkaline for black neons pH is 7.6?

No. The original waters that a lot of these small tetras come from are soft and acidic, however, the majority of them you see in a typical dealers tank have been bred in captivity and lived in harder more alkali water for most of their lives.

>>> If it is can you suggest any other peaceful shoaling fish?

Rasbora heteromorpha, (Harlequin), maybe - peaceful, schooling fish. Doesn't get big, nicely marked.

I agree with Lateral....black neons are great fish and look good in a tank with regular neons. Get as many as your tank can handle as they look better in large groups.

FanOFish said:
....black neons are great fish and look good in a tank with regular neons. Get as many as your tank can handle as they look better in large groups.
I only have 3 black neons but they do fine because they're with 4 reg neons and 4 glowlights, so in way its the same thing. They dont feel insecure when there is other fish of the same size, plus they have plants to hide in(they tend to be shyer then my other neons). They do look great with regular neons too. Such cute little guys

My pH is 7.6 and I haven't had any problem keeping tetras. I have 8 Black Neons and they very rarely school, they are almost always scattered about the tank. They seem to be pretty hardy once you get them past the initial introduction period. I usually add Melafix to the water everyday for a week after I have added new tetras because they are very prone to getting Ich.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back