Black Moor Swimming Upside Down

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marilenel48

Reaction score
Hello everyone..First time here so bare with me please......I have 2 black moors one seems to float upside down now and then swimms fine and active but it is almost comical to see him floating..it's like he/she is sunning it's underside.....you wait or barely touch it it swims away....would it be anything to be concerned about??? Marilenel48>com

What are the fish kept in?
Water stats?
temp of the tank?

Sounds like it could be a swim bladder infection due to poor water quality and poor diet but thats just a provisional guess....

Howdee & Welcome :)

If the fish is being fed dry food (flake or pellet) then it is air in the fish. The fish take in air when they are feeding and it takes a few hours for the air to pass through the fish. Then it gets farted out and the fish can swim normally again. It is very common in fancy goldfish (fantails, black moors, etc).
Feeding the fish with a frozen (but defrosted) food, or a dry food that sinks, will usually prevent the problem.
An easy way to tell if air is the problem is to stop feeding the fish for a day. If the fish swims normally again then it is air.

there are some goldfish that swim permenantly upside down after a swim bladder problem and these go on for many years seemingly happily so if the fish does end up doing this but seems otherwise healthy please don't be tempted to euthanise it

there's a fish in a pub near me thats been swimming upside down for many years and still going great

there's a fish in a pub near me thats been swimming upside down for many years and still going great
maybe it's just messing with the patrons and making them think it is upsidedown. You never know what is really happening after you have had too many :)

the goldfish is called aussie and is in the globe inn pub google it and you'll see - NOT april fool she's been there years and the story of her hit the papers and tv last summer

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back