Black Ghost Knifefish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clonetrooper

Reaction score
I was thinking on buying a black ghost knifefish, but wasn't sure if i should, i have a 75 gallon tank, which i read everywhere is fine, but i already have some small fish which i'm not sure if he'd eat or not, should i worry about it?
(and the small fish are penguin tetras)

It depends on the size of the BGK. But I would say the tetras would be fine, BGK are predators but usually only hunt near the bottom and hunt for fish that can fit in their mouth. My clown knife was ok with zebras danios, and BGK are not as aggressive as the clown's. Once the BGK gets full size, you will have to keep an eye on the others, just incase.

It depends on the size of the BGK. But I would say the tetras would be fine, BGK are predators but usually only hunt near the bottom and hunt for fish that can fit in their mouth. My clown knife was ok with zebras danios, and BGK are not as aggressive as the clown's. Once the BGK gets full size, you will have to keep an eye on the others, just incase.
how often and how much should i feed it?

feed it as much as it can eat and do that at night just before, or at lights out. Then it willl be full while the other fishes sleep and it will be less inclined to eating its tankmates.
Small black ghost and sometimes bigger ones, will sometimes eat the eyes out of other fish. Keep an eye out for that as well, (no pun intended). But in general they are pretty good.

feed it as much as it can eat and do that at night just before, or at lights out. Then it willl be full while the other fishes sleep and it will be less inclined to eating its tankmates.
Small black ghost and sometimes bigger ones, will sometimes eat the eyes out of other fish. Keep an eye out for that as well, (no pun intended). But in general they are pretty good.
thanks, but that's really gross... lol, but how will i know when he's full? he'll just stop eating?
and what should i do when he does eat the eyes out of fish?

BGK 's will eat and eat until they explode.

You know when its had enough when its belly is full but I wouldn't feed too much as they do not like poor water quality and overkill with food would just increase the chance of poor water quality

They are great fish that grow quickly and are very characterful

if it starts eating the other fish's eyes then you will have to remove it or the other fish.

so how do you know when it's full though?

and how often should i feed it? just the once at night?

just feed it once at night

give the fish as much food as it can eat in a couple of minutes. That should allow the fish to eat well but not over eat. Most fish will stop feeding once they are full.

sweet, ok, thanks, so all i need to do, is basically stuff it (not really, just let him eat) and then wait til' the next night to feed him?

i would love to buy it, but there's one already at the petstore, which i can get in like, 3 min
plus he's in a small tank so i kinda feel bad for him, it's like, 5-10 gallon

i would love to have two, just i'm a little stripped of cash right now, and i can only afford the one, and i may have to get rid of my current fishtank and downgrade :sad:
my current one has had a couple leaks in the last little while, i've patched them up, but they keep coming, the only spare tank i have now is 29 gallons, so if i do get the BGK, i want him to have at least a good amount of room, compaired to two being in there

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back