Black Ghost Knife Outgrowing other fish

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
I may be getting a black ghost knife later in the month and i saw that they can grow 8 inches within a year. Would they catch up to be large enough to eat rainbow sharks, spiny eels or small plecs?

I am no expert but I have my 7 inch ghost in with two julii cory cats and he doesn't seem to bother them. None of there fins are shred or have bites taken out of them. At 7 inches mine has a hard time getting a medium sized worm in his mouth,,,don't think a shark would be a problem at all. But I did have a red finned shark in with him and when the shark got about 5 inches long he started picked on Ghost. So needless to say the shark got moved where he committed suicide by jumping. :huh:
Signed,
Sondan

BGK can grow close aboout 20"(imo rare) and are known to eat the eyes of fish that invade their territory(also rare)IME w/them just give'm a decent size tank and somewhere to hide and you shouldn't have a problem unless you plan to house it w/big aggressive cichlids.they have tiny little eyes(don't see well)so you'll need some sinking pellet.i had 1 for almost 4 yrs it was kept in a 55g and also in a 90g and that still stunted it's growth :/ this fish IMO should only be housed in very large tanks :nod:

my 2 cents

LOL,
So Ghost is the Popeye maker !!! I have had a time of it...fish occassionally loosing an eye. I thought it was a bacterial type thing but you say it maybe Ghost eh ??? I have had my julii corys with ghost since I have had him and only one of them is missing an eye. So far that average is 1 eye a year...so I don't think I can say this is all Ghosts fault but he may be the culprit for one or two though.
I once had a cardinal tetra that lost both eyes (not at once though). He lived for many many months after he lost the second eye though. I would try and make sure food was put right in front of his face AND that I saw him eat it. For the longest time my wife and I called this little fish "Popeye". :lol: \
As for stunting growth I have to agree also. I am hoping since I moved mine to a 55 (and he started in a 30) that he will start growing again. So bigger is better for ghosts (IMO).
Signed,
Sondan
P.S. See I learned something today....so it can't all be bad. (excerp from the Pessimist/Optimist poll.)

I don't know if this is a super-newbie question but, to the fish eyes grow back? :*)

Nope,
They do NOT regenerate. That is why I called my Cardinal Tetra with one eye Popeye. :nod:
Signed,
Sondan

Most reactions

Back