Black Arowana

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi.
The problem is the Silver Aro you have now is boss.
He has established his territory, and adding another Aro of any kind right now is a dangerous (and if you go Asian, expensive) risk!

By the way, this is common knowledge, but I also speak from experience with all mentioned fish.

I knew it may not be possible but i thought i may get away with it due to the silver bieng young only 8 months old just over 12" at the moment hes not a particularly aggresive feeder either due to growing up with a couple of pbass

i think i may add a larger datnoid and play it safe as i wouldnt want the silver getting hurt in any way, i rescued him when i bought a 40 litre tank, he still had his eggsack.

Steve

African arowanas get big, but are bottom feeders, preferring worms and shrimp to monkeys in trees. I don't know that it would even be considered competition. I wouldn't recommend the black just because as they age they look just like a silver. Why pay double for something that last only a few months. I think the dat is a much better choice.

African arowanas get big, but are bottom feeders, preferring worms and shrimp to monkeys in trees. I don't know that it would even be considered competition. I wouldn't recommend the black just because as they age they look just like a silver. Why pay double for something that last only a few months. I think the dat is a much better choice.

There are a number of big differences and justifications for a higher price with Black Arowana.

For starters, Silver Aros are almost always mass farmed, and result in being cheap fish considering the size they will attain.
So paying double that price for a fish that is most likely wild caught and of good genes already seems like a no brainer.

Now add to that the fact that a Silver will pretty much garuantee to develop drop eye as it grows, whereas a Black will not.
Silvers are also more likely to develop underbite.
Then add to that the size difference. A Black will make a much more suitable fish for home aquaria being that it grows smaller than a Silver. (Though mine is over 2.5ft and growing)

As for them looking the same as a Silver, that may be the case to an untrained eye.
But there are clear differences such as fin coloration, body sheen and tone, body shape and bulk, head shape and fin size/shape.

for the op, here is some pics of mine:

My Black at just over 2.5ft:
2uqn7ld.jpg

Here is where I decided to try it with my MUCH SMALLER wild Silver (You can just see her tail) note the damage to my Blacks barbels and fins, and bruising on the body... The Silver kicked it's #17#####. Had to be separated within days.

30cug06.jpg

In the end she has lived a happy stress free life with a bunch of monster sized Bichirs, Gar and large catfish.

I'm not a novice to them, personally I feel most people after a certain size are not going to see the differences, accept maybe the fins. It is true that silvers are farm raised, but that's no reason to call them inferior stock. If you don't like them that's fine, but don't make it sound like people are getting ripped off by buying captive bred. Eventually this maybe all that's left, as the collection of wild juvies results in a dead father arowana.

I'm not a novice to them, personally I feel most people after a certain size are not going to see the differences, accept maybe the fins. It is true that silvers are farm raised, but that's no reason to call them inferior stock. If you don't like them that's fine, but don't make it sound like people are getting ripped off by buying captive bred. Eventually this maybe all that's left, as the collection of wild juvies results in a dead father arowana.
[/quote

What??
You are acting like I just insulted someone?

I am calling farm bred Silver Arowana inferior to WC Black Arowana, because it's true!
The genes in most CB are no where near the quality of wild caught. That is common sense, and I stand by my words 100%!

And as for "most people" not noticing the difference between them, well those people shouldn't (IMO) be keeping Arowana.
Arowana are advance fish for enthusiasts, not beginners.
An Enthusiast should at least be able to see the differences other than fin color between them.

You seem to have taken my post as some kind of attack on Silver owners? I own Silvers as well as black, Asian, Australian and previously African. I am simply guiding the OP who was asking for assistance!

i have an 8*3*3 for the arrows and rays and a couple of 6*2s sat around for 'just in case' situations lol
Everyone i have spoken to can readily get hold of asian arowanas but i preffer the shape and attitude of the black/ silvers

Steve

You got any pics?

if you find a black let me know as i've been looking for a decent one.

I saw some in Pier a few months back which I know is no good for the OP but might be for you :)

Wills

Unsure how far some of you are away from the seller or even if they still have it, worth a try.
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_251515.php

Maidenhead at Beverley is gonna be reopened late feb. i phoned and asked what was going on and they said the garden centre had shut but they were reopening then. obviously when the centre reopens they'll be back in business

Was looking at facebook there and seen Rare aquatics in Crewe have some 14 inch wild black arowana's in at the minute. £200. Thought of this thread the minute I seen it.

Was looking at facebook there and seen Rare aquatics in Crewe have some 14 inch wild black arowana's in at the minute. £200. Thought of this thread the minute I seen it.

yup was in there couple of weeks ago and they had one in I think, Im going again next week to get a nice new plec and will update the post if still in

Im going again next week to get a nice new plec
Green phantom by any chance? I'd love one of them but really don't like paying postage prices.

No I bought a tiny one from there the other week for them to get beautiful cheap big ones this week!! No Im getting a Scarlet L25 and cant wait

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back