Black Arowana

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Steve Randell

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi im looking to add another arowana in with my rapidly growing silver, im prefferebly after a young black arowana to go with him
does anyone know of a uk based shop that i could get one from, im based in grimsby but would travel to the right shop

any help you can give me would be appreciated

thanks

Steve

Not sure where would sell them as they are too big for the vast majority of people to keep - responsible retailers shouldn't stock them unless a customer has specifically ordered them in IMO.

Your best bet is to checking keep Tropical Fish Finder, or ask an LFS to get one in.

You must have a MASSIVE aquarium to be wanting a second fish that can grow to about a meter in length though! :hyper:

Also arowanas can be fairly aggressive to each other so you would need to have a back up plan if one of them starts to be bullied, or one is constantly hogging the food. So you would need an even bigger tank to keep two of them...more like an indoor tropical pond :).

i have an 8*3*3 for the arrows and rays and a couple of 6*2s sat around for 'just in case' situations lol
Everyone i have spoken to can readily get hold of asian arowanas but i preffer the shape and attitude of the black/ silvers

Steve

and a couple of 6*2s sat around for 'just in case' situations lol

Love it :p

The only place I have ever seen Blacks is in Pier Aquatics in Wigan.

Just out of interest, Im in Hull just wondering if you know any good shops in your area? I go to Just Fish quite a bit in S#37###horpe but wondering what else is on that side of the river :p as most of the shops in Hull are quite mediocre.

Wills

haha S#37###horpe

Hi.
Two SA arowana is asking for trouble.
Success is more likely in groups of 3 or more, but your 8ft is simply not big enough for that.

Your Silver has established it's territory, and will destroy your Black.
Either way, one will either get killed or be bullied/stressed to the point of death.

Hi.
Success is more likely in groups of 3 or more, but your 8ft is simply not big enough for that.

Either way, one will either get killed or be bullied/stressed to the point of death.

ahh right i thought because the silver was still young that i would get away with it? would i have more success with asians?

there are not many shops round here, there is one in cleethorpes called fangs and fin that is worth a look occasionally have oddballs, ive just sold them my clown loaches 30+ 6 -9 inches from my old 10ft river tank, they have a wolf fish and have seen them selling a payara they regularly get motoro stingrays in, silica lodge is ok i find there very cheap but you cant trust them as far as you can throw them, ive ordered stuff in putting a deposit down etc only to be told 2 months later that they forgot to ask suppliers.
i used to be a fan of the maidenhead aquatics in Beverly they used to have a lot of larger fish, i went there a few days ago and the whole garden centre has shut down. The best shop i have ever been to is Wharf aquatics in Nottingham definately worth the trip, think it would be close to 2 hours from hull

steve

I have. never actually. come across any black arrowanas are they that rare?

agreed about maidenhead in woodmansey I believe they may be relocating to Brigg which is a shame as I'm only 5minutes away, is sixhills good on that side ofbthe river?

sorry to go slightly off topic.

Hi.

ahh right i thought because the silver was still young that i would get away with it? would i have more success with asians?

there are not many shops round here, there is one in cleethorpes called fangs and fin that is worth a look occasionally have oddballs, ive just sold them my clown loaches 30+ 6 -9 inches from my old 10ft river tank, they have a wolf fish and have seen them selling a payara they regularly get motoro stingrays in, silica lodge is ok i find there very cheap but you cant trust them as far as you can throw them, ive ordered stuff in putting a deposit down etc only to be told 2 months later that they forgot to ask suppliers.
i used to be a fan of the maidenhead aquatics in Beverly they used to have a lot of larger fish, i went there a few days ago and the whole garden centre has shut down. The best shop i have ever been to is Wharf aquatics in Nottingham definately worth the trip, think it would be close to 2 hours from hull

steve

There is already a maidenhead in Brigg so i dont think they will got there
sixhills are good for marines but very expensive, dont get much more than guppys and oscars for tropical
they have a 14 inch pescock bass in at the min for 75 that seemed reasonable but it is only because someone has bought it in

steve

Yep I know Wharf quite well :) I used to go to Fish Inc quite a bit but thats shut now and went down hill on the way out as well. I used to go to Ferrybridge whos sellection is brilliant but too much disease :(

Yeah its a real real shame about Maidenhead, I had been told a week or so ago that they had a buyer for the garden center but rang up the other day to see if they were open (needed water conditioner) and they are closed and not sure what is going to happen - dont think they will go to Brigg or just close this one as lets face it there are enough empty shop units in Hull at the moment they will find somewhere. I can think of 3 or 4 places that would be ideal for them.

I tried sixhills a few months ago and was not impressed - MA at Brigg is quite good atm quite a few nice cichlids in last time I was there but I couldnt quite put my finger on it as to why I wouldnt get anything.....

Got to admit never had a problem at Silica Lodge (just fish) one of my favorite shops and most likely to have good stock in - though never tried to order through them.

Liam if you are in Hull - you should check out Northfield Garden Centre round the cornerish from MA and a bit out of the way now (the through road to them has been blocked) their dry goods are the cheapest around and exactly the same as everywhere else. Fish sellection is coming back but not great right now but they had major issues with the building from the snow last year and are just getting back up and running.

Wills

ahh right they must be shifting the stock to Brigg then.

I just remembered sixhills being in practical Fishkeeping but never heard anyone talk about it.

Willis : yeah i do use northfield mostly for prime and live food and i pop in every few weeks to see if they have started stocking anything good, I'm located on Beverley high road so all them shops are my locals, just need to find a new bigger tank now as my trigon 350 won't cut. It for much longer.

Ah right pretty interesting, if I had to guess where they will go I would guess either one of the vacant units on Clough Road or one of the nurseries out in the west side villages like Swanland area.

It was somebody who I know that works at ings that told me that, they must definitely be relocating because none of the staff got made redundant. wasn't the cheapest place but got a bargain or 2 including a para plec for £10.

I just hope that they keep the larger tanks and not just fill them with filter media like the rest of them are

any one know if an asian arow will mix
also does anyone on here have any experiance with an african arowana?

steve

Hi.
The problem is the Silver Aro you have now is boss.
He has established his territory, and adding another Aro of any kind right now is a dangerous (and if you go Asian, expensive) risk!

By the way, this is common knowledge, but I also speak from experience with all mentioned fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back