Bio-media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TBLightningFan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
On my 28 Gallon Tank. I have 2 inches of Live Sand and 30 pounds of live rock. The Rock is thriving and so is the sand. Should I remove the Bio-media from the power filter to help keep the rocks and sand processing most of waste instead of the filter? I heard this can make water quality much better. Is that true... and why?

If so should I remove the biowheel from my 12 gallon tank (12 pounds cured LR and 20 pounds of Live Sand) that has been running for a week. Or should I wait for a comfirmed cycle before removing the bio wheel?

IF you have at least a pound of live rock per gallon, that is all the biological filtrtion you need.
And yes, I would remove the Biowheel. This way you will make certain the live rock is getting colonized to the proper level.

The general consensus is that media will over time leach nitrates and other toxins back into your system.

GL

biomedia doesnt leach nitrates, it releases them, its a planned release at that. IMO I'd toss any biowheal but keep anything submerged, in the end there isnt anything special about biomedia, its just extra surface area and if itssubmerged it can host podlife but if its out of the water it cant, the nitrates that your life rock eats will till be in the water along with all the other nutrients, all LR is is a colonised hunk of porus media, and a biofilter is nothing but porus media unless it goess in a circle and leaves the water.

Great Lakes said:
IF you have at least a pound of live rock per gallon, that is all the biological filtrtion you need.
And yes, I would remove the Biowheel. This way you will make certain the live rock is getting colonized to the proper level.

The general consensus is that media will over time leach nitrates and other toxins back into your system.

GL
Yeah, Theres 12.5 pounds of fiji rock in there. So its just enough.

Most reactions

trending

Back