Biggest Loser

You can avoid all the dieting gimmicks if you simply adhere to the following:

Calories in < calories burned = weight loss

Good luck all for getting into those skimpy bathing suits this summer or having those six-pack abs. SH

one of the most intelligent comments, on this subject, I've seem in a long time. and it really is, as simple as that.
will power is in short supply, though, so many look to pay, or to fad diets.

same as drugs. "just say no".

+1 for this! I find that if i have a couple of weeks of excercising i put on weight due to me eating alot, if i exercise like normal i stay the same weight. if i excersise and cut out the fatty foods i loose weight!

I tend to prefer to eat what i enjoy and work hard at it in the gym etc. Gym 3 times a week and 20 miles bike rides twice a week.

I just got myself a new bike, so now have a daily 4 mile ride on top of gym 3 times a week. Hopefully adding some longer rides and proper mountain biking stuff each week.

this week was a terrible week for the diet, i have been so busy and stressed i havn't gotten out as much as i would like. i am ashamed to say i did turn to a quick meal more then once. when i get home i have been just so tired. a coworker suggested it was allergies, so i got some clarion and lo an behold my energy returned.
i am hoping to do better this week.

if its quick meals you want when you're tired and just want to go to bed, why not prepare something you can eat cold when you do have the time? salad, pasta, whatever... just a thought.

well heres my schedaule i have been following for 2 weeks now
monday:
if traditional play tennis 6th period
get home and procrastinate
5:30 got to clinic tennis
7:00 get back and run 6 minute mile on tread
when thats done do my entire workout scheduale posted earlier but took the advise of 3 sets of 10, i have been able to bump up the weight on all of them with the 1 minute breaks (biceps i guess biggest improvement lol started could only complee at 20lbs now im up to 40)
eat
later at night round 12ish do (up to currently) 40 pushups and 100 crunches (crunches take too long so i only do 100)

tuesday:
just have tennis at school (im achy lol) and then the pushups and crunches

wednesday:
same as monday but no tennis at school

thursday:
tennis at school and the late night routine

friday:
same as monday but no tennis what-so-ever

im thinking that if the weather is good and if i have little hw to utilize my swimming pool to the max before i dont have one any more. its 24ft long if that helps

any comments? to be honest i can feel the muscle but its hidden behind my years of puerto-rican dining :lol:
its mostly around the stomach area, any thing i can add/do to help get this off asap? my goal is finish by the end of the school year so im not too self conciese when/if i go out for my first taste of "partay"

personally would cut out the crunches or add weight and only do 3 sets of 10-15

pushups are ok, but prefer dumbell flies or benchpress for my chest/triceps, also wouldnt do them 2 nights in a row, dont forget your muscles need time to recover. whats the routine your following?

Best way to lose the tummy fat is a healthy diet, cut the carbs down a bit and obviously cut out all rubbish food like fizzy drinks, choccy, fast food ect. Long periods of cardio will help too, but not 100% needed, you can lose alot just by diet :good:

A major source of calories in my diet came from fizzy drinks. I didn't realise how many they had!

First I started drinking 1.5 litres of water a day. And wouldn't let myself have any fizzy until I'd had the water. I hate water so that takes half the day. I didn't do it for calories, mainly to aid hydration.

Then, after buying pepsi max since it was on offer and no normal pepsi or coke was left, I compared it to the regular stuff. Wow, so much less rubbish in it. I know it's still not exactly good for me but almost 15 years of drinking nothing but fizzy drinks is hard to stop at once.

That's a start and I think I'm having close to 1500 calories less every day because of it. That's gotta make a difference soon. Hope my experience there can help.

I've recently changed my training. Doing less at the gym now. I'm taking my new mountain bike out for 4 or 5 miles EVRY day. Because that doesn't leave a lot of recovery time I'm keeping it nice and low. Within a couple months I expect to have that number up to about 20 miles every day. Mostly off road through woodland trails or on canal towpath so not easy terrain.

Gym will now be cut to probably 2 days a week focusing on weights rather than cardio.

Mainly done it that way because I don't find the gym fun. And have to find motivation to go. But a bike ride is fun, I get fresh air, and it keeps me fit.

You can avoid all the dieting gimmicks if you simply adhere to the following:

Calories in < calories burned = weight loss

Good luck all for getting into those skimpy bathing suits this summer or having those six-pack abs. SH

Leave it to SH to offer the simplest solution. The above works. I am now 20lbs lighter. :lol:

And, I look great in that dress I wanted to wear back on page 1. :D

well, with the cut out that means ill have to cut out my last salvation which is juice, milk, and my every other day dessert of 4 chips-ahoy cookies.... o well lol, and i hate water too go figure.

personally would cut out the crunches or add weight and only do 3 sets of 10-15

pushups are ok, but prefer dumbell flies or benchpress for my chest/triceps, also wouldnt do them 2 nights in a row, dont forget your muscles need time to recover. whats the routine your following?

Best way to lose the tummy fat is a healthy diet, cut the carbs down a bit and obviously cut out all rubbish food like fizzy drinks, choccy, fast food ect. Long periods of cardio will help too, but not 100% needed, you can lose alot just by diet

which crunches? the ones at night (tbh i feel nothing) or the ones on the machine (which im now up to 80 with barley finishing the last set of 10)

ahhh now i know why benching is so talked about at school lol, i can add the delta fly (at least i think its called that :blink: ) too the routine i do on the machine and when cutting back for every other day shoul i do em with the machine or on days w/out the machine?

for cardio would it be better to run double the length at half the pace till i get faster or still try and run it afap? and of course i can have the occasional junk but cut it out of everyday consumption correct?

any thoughts on the swimming? this weekend is supposed to be sunny :D

cut out the ones at night or add some weight by holding a weight on your chest, although to be fair there are far better ab work outs.

try and do as much as you can with free weights, they more more muscles than the machines and in some cases put alot less stress on your joints. heres a link to do flys:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-execute-flat-bench-dumbbell-fly-weight-training-254767/

For me i find they really work my chest, thing i've found is go light and nice and slow.

I do these on flat bench and incline bench along with benchpress flat and incline (swap between bar and dumbells every couple of weeks)

I dont like tap water, i buy tesco value table water, 13p for 2 litres and i go through around 3 - 4 litres a day so doesnt work out to expensive.

I cut out all alchol, fizzy drinks, choccy ect for my first 2 months and saw some pretty impressive gains. Not so strict on it now though as i made the gains i wanted

sooooo, hows everyone coming along?

to be honest this weather has been a bit of a curse as well as a blessing as 1. its unbearably hot and humid and 2. i break a sweat in 5 minutes and unfortunately asi have yet to find a hitting partner for tennis im still doing 2 sessions a week but instead of 1.5 hours each its 2 hours each, and the treadmil and weight machine have been unpacked and set-up so ive been getting back into that, and though this was at first to just be more fit for tennis its helping me get used tothe climate and it takes less time to get accoustomed on the couurt after extended absence so im still thinkng of continuing (not to mention im close to a pack of something :lol: ) but im up to two miles tobegin and then weights which i organised to 2 "groups" a day with one day of rest before repeating and i still do it if there is tennis so lots of stuff tomakeme insanley tired :D

tbh even before the machines were re-setup i still lost weight or something which i dont understand why but idc better for me :lol:

anyone else?

In the last couple of months I've lost about 4kg. I'm now in the healthy category on the highly inaccurate BMI system.

I'm doing less exercise too. And enjoying myself far more too.

Still having the occasional pizza takeout, eating burger king far too often, just enjoying myself.

I'm doing the occasional 10 mile bike ride, normally a few times a week, which is an easy going ride with lots of stops. I'm using the bike to explore potential photo spots and I'm finding some really nice things to shoot like the ruins of an old manor, the wobbliest bridge I've ever crossed, the deserted wreck of an old cement works, etc

having cut out the excess calories from drinks, I'm now just exercising in enjoyable ways as part of my daily bits.

Now if only I wasn't living with my inlaws life would be great.

Body mass index is not accurate. It's a reasonable indicator for average people. However it doesn't account for muscle mass. Most top athletes would be considered obese simply because of their muscle. Yet you look at them. They don't have any fat on them.
The regular bmi only uses height and weight for the calculation. Now my height hasn't changed at all (apart from the standard daily spine compression which happens to everyone) yet when I started going to the gym, I started losing fat. Noticeably. I could visibly see the difference. Yet my bmi said I was getting worse. Because I was also building muscle which was putting my weight UP.

There are 2 alternative methods I know of which are a little better, but aren't generally used. Both add other measurements like neck measurement and waist.

Try telling me it's accurate again I'll have to give you some more examples with the math done for you showing you.
Yes it's a good guideline, but you have to know when to ignore it.

Most reactions

Back