Biggest Loser

The lower abs are the hardest ones to get, try doing leg raises it targets that part.
I had six pack b4 but its just so nice to eat :drool: LoL

a pic would help with that lol i have no idea on any of these terms

you could have the best abs in the world but if theres a layer of fat there you wont see them. Thats generally the reason people dont have "lower" abs, because theres a thin layer of fat in the way! Its worth noting too that the abs are not split into upper and lower, its all one muscle. You have a left one and a right one, if you have a six pack and they dont line up theres nothing you can do about it thats just your genetics (eg mine look like this _ - well not as out of line as that but you get the idea :lol: ) working your obliques can make your stomach look LOADS better, but again if you have fat in the way you wont see them. The obliques are the muscles on your side that go down in a v shape, also known as "lines" for me i found dumbell side bends worked amazingly well and saw good results in just a few weeks. Where you can just try and work your stomach with some sort of weight, you wouldnt do bicep curls with no weights so why do the same with your stomach!

So today was day 2 of the 3 day workout.

Standard start (bike, run, row)
wide grip pull down
seated row wide grip
seated row narrow grip
machine camber curls
cable bicep curls

you could have the best abs in the world but if theres a layer of fat there you wont see them. Thats generally the reason people dont have "lower" abs, because theres a thin layer of fat in the way! Its worth noting too that the abs are not split into upper and lower, its all one muscle. You have a left one and a right one, if you have a six pack and they dont line up theres nothing you can do about it thats just your genetics (eg mine look like this _ - well not as out of line as that but you get the idea :lol: ) working your obliques can make your stomach look LOADS better, but again if you have fat in the way you wont see them. The obliques are the muscles on your side that go down in a v shape, also known as "lines" for me i found dumbell side bends worked amazingly well and saw good results in just a few weeks. Where you can just try and work your stomach with some sort of weight, you wouldnt do bicep curls with no weights so why do the same with your stomach!

ok now im interested im HIGHLY competitive so now im tyring to look more beast than a friend of mine (which wont be hard to pass if i can 1.) get the nerve to not wear a sweater and 2.) get good results lol) can you post an example plz? i can use the tennis as a cover-up hehe kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Its like in this video although you dont have to go as high maybe 90 degree angle would be fine, I just use to do 90 degrees and hold for a few seconds. You still have to avoid too much fatty foods tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI2Qu8pswSE
holy crap that looks hard!

Do the second leg raises that he did, I think its easier than the hanging leg raises.

I agree with ian on the dumbell side bends, I suggested that to a buddy of mine too, helps get rid of the love handles :D

Do the second leg raises that he did, I think its easier than the hanging leg raises.

I agree with ian on the dumbell side bends, I suggested that to a buddy of mine too, helps get rid of the love handles :D

haha yeah maybe ill try the other one later

is there a vid for that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x30hOyDNrk heres a video for the dumbbell side bends. Go quite heavy with them, light weights dont seem to do anything and they are a bit easy. Like i keep saying though diet and lack of fat is what gives you a good six pack, although with you playing tennis so much i would assume your quite lean?

Squats and Deadlifts are also very good for your abs, while they are for your legs and back mainly they build up a very strong core. Without strong ab muscles you would end up hurting yourself at some point. videos for both of them:

Squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huVujjfzphI
Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMq9x8x2ofk

With the squats make sure you have some one with you to help, you really dont wanna get stuck with the bar on your back! also yes it is uncomfy at first but over time it gets better. i find holding the bar with my hands quite close together works well as it bunch's up my traps/lats and i can rest it on them. DO NOT put the bar on your neck, if it hurts the bone at the top of your neck you have the bar to high, try lowering it down a bit.

With the dead lifts keeping you back straight is vital, first time you do these it will more than likely hurt the next day, alot! but again the pain goes away after a week or two, really depends on how strong your lower back is. Keep your back straight and make sure you place the bar on the floor after every rep and start again, you dont want to be doing quick reps like the video suggests.

Both exercises are very good and i wouldn't do a weekly routine without them now! Done squats earlier actually and can feel it in my abs along with my legs. Dont be afraid to try them in the gym, also dont worry about how heavy the weight is. Everyone has to start some where, even if you only use the bar at first, get the technique right before you go lifting too much weight and olympic bar weighs 20kg on its own anyways so its still some for of weight lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x30hOyDNrk heres a video for the dumbbell side bends. Go quite heavy with them, light weights dont seem to do anything and they are a bit easy. Like i keep saying though diet and lack of fat is what gives you a good six pack, although with you playing tennis so much i would assume your quite lean?
not really lol

Squats and Deadlifts are also very good for your abs, while they are for your legs and back mainly they build up a very strong core. Without strong ab muscles you would end up hurting yourself at some point. videos for both of them:

Squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huVujjfzphI
Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMq9x8x2ofk

With the squats make sure you have some one with you to help, you really dont wanna get stuck with the bar on your back! also yes it is uncomfy at first but over time it gets better. i find holding the bar with my hands quite close together works well as it bunch's up my traps/lats and i can rest it on them. DO NOT put the bar on your neck, if it hurts the bone at the top of your neck you have the bar to high, try lowering it down a bit.

With the dead lifts keeping you back straight is vital, first time you do these it will more than likely hurt the next day, alot! but again the pain goes away after a week or two, really depends on how strong your lower back is. Keep your back straight and make sure you place the bar on the floor after every rep and start again, you dont want to be doing quick reps like the video suggests.

Both exercises are very good and i wouldn't do a weekly routine without them now! Done squats earlier actually and can feel it in my abs along with my legs. Dont be afraid to try them in the gym, also dont worry about how heavy the weight is. Everyone has to start some where, even if you only use the bar at first, get the technique right before you go lifting too much weight and olympic bar weighs 20kg on its own anyways so its still some for of weight lifting.

great, thanks for the advice all hopefully i will be able to start tomorrow

would it be better to do it before or after dinner??

Good luck with your workout! Ian's right try to go a little heavy on the side bends they're quite easy.

I love doing squats but also really careful in doing it, you can hurt your back doing that with wrong form, make sure you have the proper form. I do it on a Smith machine with the safety on, just in case something goes wrong the safety is there :D I dropped it once LoL

Make sure you eat well before doing hardcore workout on legs, my legs are sore for up to 6 days after doing leg workouts. I usually eat something not too heavy first, wait at least half an hour, workout, take protein shake within 30 mins after workout, then have my dinner after an hour and a half or two.

i've normally had 3/4 meals before the gym, i usually goto the gym at around 6pm i just leave it an hour before working out :good: same as hunter i have a protein shake straight after ny work out then my next meal about 45 mins after that. For building muscle you want as much protein as you can within half hour of working out as this is when your body will need/use it most. Early morning and late at night are also important, first thing in the morning you want some fast to digest protein to replenish your self after 8 hours of no eating, for me its a protein shake with some eggs on toast. Late at night you want some slow release protein something like nuts or cottage cheese.

If you can, do squats without the smiths machine. While it may be easier and you can use more weight your only really using your legs and not using the supporting muscles. It's more of a leg press than a squat then, your abs and back wont get a workout as they would with the bar. :good:

If your afraid of hurting your back just start light like i said, as soon as your legs start to wobble or turn inwards you know your form is going off.

well due to a wierd tennis accident i couldnt run today or yesterday, but i went to practice and im better now so tomorrow i start for real

what are the pros and cons of doing everything every other day with a day of not doing it but say tennis?

some how i hurt the tendon in the back of my ankle running up the stairs at the hotel, i refuse to stop doing stairs though.

well due to a wierd tennis accident i couldnt run today or yesterday, but i went to practice and im better now so tomorrow i start for real

what are the pros and cons of doing everything every other day with a day of not doing it but say tennis?

Theres no real pros to doing a full body work out every other day, might make you feel good? Your just not letting your muscles recover enough, if they seem fine after a days break and you do the same or more than last time your just not working hard enough! :lol:

I done chest and triceps monday, they are still aching today so i would have no chance of being able to work them. Also dont forget when you are doing most if not all excersise's you are working more than one muscle group. Take bench pressing for example, your working your chest, triceps and shoulders mostly but your biceps and abs will also be getting a slight workout, but generally the muscle has recovered quite quickly. Alot will depend on your diet, if your eatching junk food and not enough fats/protein/carbs ect then your muscle will take ages to recover. All depends on your goals, generally men goto the gym to get bigger if its just fat loss then light reps every other day on everything would probs be fine. Personally i would be wrecked though! I find the way im doing it works very well, body overall looks alot better so far and weights are slowly going up.

Also night if you've hurt yourself give it a couple of days at least to heal, dont want to cause problems in the future just for a bit of running now!

You can avoid all the dieting gimmicks if you simply adhere to the following:

Calories in < calories burned = weight loss

Good luck all for getting into those skimpy bathing suits this summer or having those six-pack abs. SH

one of the most intelligent comments, on this subject, I've seem in a long time. and it really is, as simple as that.
will power is in short supply, though, so many look to pay, or to fad diets.

same as drugs. "just say no".

Most reactions

Back