Big Passive Fish?

Nik

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok I'm a new member to this board looking for advice on larger, passive style fish - which maybe from the cichlid family?

I need "feature fish" that behave well and aren't too terratorial. By feature fish I mean larger species that create interest.

I've created a tank with African's in it that seem to have spells of violence - only cured by changing the tank set-up and rock placements and leaving them in darkness for a while.
Nice fish - but too agressive.

Another tank now has a couple of 3" Oscars - who seem fine.
So are Oscars generally this passive or have I been lucky?

Another tank has four Parrot fish - who also seem quite passive.

What other larger fish breeds will behave well and not spoil the tanks with bouts of fighting?

Can somebody advise?

:unsure:

The person to advise on this is CichlidMaster - knows everything there is to know about cichlids.

I think he is on-line at the moment, so hopefully he will give you an answer shortly.

Cheers, Eddie

Ah little Oscars are so cute :unsure: wait a couple of months and you'll have WWIII going on adult oscars are territorial and very aggressive,to keep them together i would recomend a minimum of 75 gallons of water per fish :eek:

Parrot fish as you may know are hybrids :angry: pretty much a taboo subject on this forum they only rank a little way bellow dyed fish which some of them are as well as being hybrids :angry: :angry:

It would help if you could let us know how big the tanks are so that we know where to start.

The 2 oscars are in a 35 gallon tank - alone with a plec.

The parrot's and the african's are likewise in separate 35 gallon tanks.

A 35 is not large enough for one oscar let alone two, a single adult oscar needs a minimum of a 55g with a very large filtration system and bi-weekly water changes,the plec will be ok to live with a oscar so long as there is sufficiant daytime hiding places and it is too big to fit in the oscars mouth.

As far as adding anymore fish goes your tanks are already overstocked so i would strongly discourage this until you can get your self some larger tanks.

With the Africans, I just had the idea of getting a beautiful Frontosa. I don't really know if they will go together, but many setups I have seen mix lakes, including the Mbuna w/ Frontosa. The tank size is a problem though. I know they will need more than 35 gal. Ask Cichlid master, he knows all and sees all, just don't pay attention to the little old man behind the head. :hyper: There are some really awesome fish out there. You may even consider some Severums, they are South American though. They are large and generally passive. But again, I don't know exactly what size tank is preferred. Hope I didn't confuse you too much. I know I didn't help too much, but those fish are pretty and larger, but check on the net for tank size and tankmates. Or just wait for CM.

Thanks for your replies.

I am using the 35 gallon tanks to assess the fish I purchase before comitting to the use of lager tanks.

I will look at the recommended options but am aware of most of the requirements for oscars and the like.

Appreciate your advice.

Where's the Cichlid Master then??

Hi Nik,

Sorry it took so long, but water changes and all keep me pretty busy, plus I am not used to anyone asking FIRST about large fish. The norm is buy first and scrammble later when they realize what monsters they have on thier hands :lol: :lol: :lol:

First,

What size tank will you end up with for your "tankbusters"? The list below will need a minimum of a 150-180 gallon tank due to there body size and depth........

1. Uaru amphiacanthoides... Size 10-12"
uaru.jpg

2. Heros appendiculatum Green or Gold Size 8"+
appen1.jpg

3. Vieja regani......Size 10-12"
regani.male.jpg

4. Vieja bifasciatus........Size 12"+
bifasc.jpg

5. Paratheraps fenestratus............Size12"+
fenest.male.jpg

This is just a few of the many species of New World Cichlids available to the aquarist with the means to hose them.....meaning a LARGE TANK or TWO!!!!!!

IME with keeping these fish I have found that although they can get boisterous at times, they are not overly aggressive species!!

Please keep in mind this is MY experience only. Others who have kept them may have forund their behavior to be totally different, but you have to remember there way of raising them was probably different as well!!

HTH

CM

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back