What's new

Big Enough Canister For A 55 Gallon Tetra/rasboras Tank?

Reaction score
Shopping around for canister filters for a 55 gallon tank. I do plan to eventually get nice plants in it(carpet of dwarf sag, Italian and corscrew vals, anubias species, maybe some swords. Water sprite and frogbit. Probably others but not sure yet.)

I was looking at getting a SunSun brand(or equivalent) and was wondering if the 4-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer for Aquarium, 370 GPH would be enough? I may get to the point of "overstocking" the tank to add a couple of more schools. 7 black neons, 10 glowlights, 6 male guppies, 1 bristlenose pleco, 12 corycats(2 diff species) and I want 10 rasboras(the porkchop looking kind), 10 cardinal tetras and maybe one more school.

Or would the SunSun HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH be better? I don't want to overdo the filtration either.

I do plan to get a SunSun 302 for my current 20 gallon. It's 264 GPH with no uv. I don't care about the uv. So does anybody have experience with these? Thanks for the help!

OP
cowgirluntamed
Reaction score
Well it won't let me edit my last post but I wanted to add the media I was going to put in the filter. First would be fluval prefilter ceramic rings on bottom. Followed by a course sponge. Then I would do a medium sponge and some polyfil(polyfil I would change out as needed, sponges and everything else would just get a quick rinse with old tank water), then I would put in fluval boimax ceramic rings in the very top basket. I don't know if I would need a fine sponge or if just the polyfil would be OK?

I know more media in the filter will lower the flow. Hence for me adding this part as well as those two canister filters. Thanks again for all the help!!

NickAu

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I have 3 of these, they are  over 15 months old and they are great, quiet and all that, and they are cheap and easy to maintain,  There is even a UV version.

I have 2 of these on my 100 gallon, Fish Tank Aquarium Filter Sponge Aqua External Canister Water UV Bulb 1200LPH

Why? In case 1 fails, and I only clean 1 filter a month, Just in case I mess something up and crash the cycle, The 2nd filter will pick up the slack, Thank you to the person on this site who told me 2 filters are better than 1.

On my 2 foot betta tank I have Biopro Aquarium External Canister Fish Tank Water Filter 800 LPH + Aqua Sponge
This one is restricted to 300 litres per hour timed by me when the filter was clean, I just used a plastic ball valve to restrict the outflow only.

I also think every tank should have a Aquarium Fish Shrimp Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter Filtration Foam Bio-Filter ( Be inventive hide it behind plants or a rock )
A small one in the betta tank and a big one in the 100 gallon, If you are going to run an air stone you are better off running one of these instead, A stone just makes noise and current you may as well put it to good use, Who said you can have too much filtration?  Current yes, Filtration I doubt it. If there is 1 thing I have learned, Its water quality is the most important thing you can do for a fish.

PS edit

Unless you have some black sponge monster in the tank of course , Something like a bored Oscar or worse one in a mood, Internal filtration may not be a great idea if my friends fish is anything to go by. Mind you he is a pussy cat he only gets grumpy of you don’t say HI and give him a pellet, No kidding he actually has a tantrum and will try and remove suction cups from the glass.

OP
cowgirluntamed
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. I may eventually get a 2nd one to have on hand for the 55 gallon just in case. Though the tank I bought used came with a couple of HOBs that IF they work(haven't tested them yet) I could get out and stuff a bunch of media in those to keep it alive if the canister failed or something. The filters I'm looking at are fairly similar to yours I think but not quite. Mine are being sold in the US as well. Lol.

I was just wondering if I should go with the smaller one(and maybe have two eventually) on the 55 gallon. Or if I would need to go with the bigger one for the stock of fish that I want, even though it's going to be a "planted" tank. I think the small one with less flow for the 20 gallon is going to be perfectly fine for it. Heck, maybe I could just do one of the small ones with UV that's a bit faster flow plus one of the others that I put on the 20 gallon! Lol. Or two of the same ones that I'd be getting for the 20 gallon? I don't know...just trying to do my best research before I start to buy things! As for the betta 5.5 gallon, I think I have decided on the SunSun 602 or 603. 603 is a tiny bit bigger with I think the same flow rate, so might be better since the sponges are bigger inside of the little canister. I was trying to keep a regular sponge filter out of at least the 5.5 just because of space. I want whatever betta I do get to buy to have as much space as I can provide! Lol.