BIG Cities.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I like what you said Madame'. I guess that's what it all really comes down to. Being happy where you are and trusting that most people are pretty good. The news would have you believe there's a boogey man behind every bush and the politicians use every opportunity to make us believe that. I like people and I've only encountered a couple in my whole life that were unpleasant, and thinking back on it, maybe they were just having a crummy day. Probably due to a politician.

I've lived both completely out in the boonies of rural Colorado and Virginia and in more urban areas. I spent my early childhood in Colorado homeschooled on top of a mountain with bears, mountain lions, and elk. Virginia wasn't too different, just hotter and with way too many annoying deer instead of elk.

I've been in urban areas for 14-15 years now. I lived in Dallas Texas for a while, and currently I commute through Manhattan. Dallas wasn't too bad because it's very sprawled and has some pretty chilled out areas, but I would never live directly in something as dense as Manhattan given the choice. It is LOUD. Loud loud loud. You will never get a moment of true quiet. Either people are are yelling or there are car horns, sirens, train/subway noise, and so on. If you go in a shop that seems like it's sonically insulated, nope - it will be playing music rather than letting you have some peace and quiet. In limited doses, I like the bustle and things to do. There are tons of job opportunities, so I don't feel like I'll ever get stuck in a rut or fall on hard times not having options. The areas I go through regularly are actually really safe, much safer than some smaller cities I've been in (used to work in New Haven, Connecticut - a truly awful city for safety; not all cities are terrible for that kind of thing). However, the perpetual noise aspect drives me mad if I have no way to get away from it at the end of the day, probably because of having grown up where I did. The constant screaming of the dense city is one of the reasons I opted to have a 2 to 2.5hr one-way commute with my current job.

On the other hand, although I don't want to live right in the middle of the loud mess, I also don't really want to go back to needing to always keep a few weeks of weeks of food, water, and other supplies stockpiled in case of getting profoundly separated from civilization (and medical care) during sever weather events. Or having to be worried about being accidentally shot at by people hunting illegally. Or having a bear break into my car/house/etc...definitely ok with having left those things behind lol.

Or having a bear break into my car/house/etc...definitely ok with having left those things behind lol.
LOL,
"Hey Yogi."
"Yeah Booboo, what do you want?"
"Yogi, let's steal Donya's car again"
"Okay Booboo, but this time I'm driving"

All I can see now is a couple of cartoon bears hot wiring a 4wd and going drag racing around the streets.

--------------------------
In New Zealand there are parrots that vandalise cars at some holiday towns. They land on cars and chew the antenna, destroy the rubber seals and try to break in.

In Australia we get hitch hikers that crawl up into the engine bay and when you pull over to check under the hood, they hiss at you. Yes snakes like it warm and crawl up into the engine bay. Scares the crap out of you when it happens.

Donya... 4 to 5 hours commuting everyday would drive me crazy (pun intended). Hopefully you enjoy driving. I can’t stand rush hour traffic jams. Driving in the suburbs here it’s not so bad until I have to venture into the city.

On the other hand, although I don't want to live right in the middle of the loud mess, I also don't really want to go back to needing to always keep a few weeks of weeks of food, water, and other supplies stockpiled in case of getting profoundly separated from civilization (and medical care) during sever weather events. Or having to be worried about being accidentally shot at by people hunting illegally. Or having a bear break into my car/house/etc...definitely ok with having left those things behind lol.
That’s what tap water is for! I only have to go shopping once a week, medical care isn’t necessary, you just have to make sure you don’t get hurt! Getting shot....you just have to shoot first! :big_boss: (Just kidding) and I have never seen a bear up here in Kentucky, we get more snakes/snapping turtles/wild turkeys/mountain lions. :lol:

The main reason I love it up here, is the peace and quiet!! :look:

Another good thing about living close to a big city is there a grocery food delivery service. I order two weeks worth of groceries online in about 15 minutes. They deliver it within 24 hours right to my kitchen table. If you like to go to pubs, there are several within a few miles of my house as well as dozens of restaurants.

Another good thing about living close to a big city is there a grocery food delivery service. I order two weeks worth of groceries online in about 15 minutes. They deliver it within 24 hours right to my kitchen table. If you like to go to pubs, there are several within a few miles of my house as well as dozens of restaurants.
I live about 15 min. From a Walmart, Wendy’s, Taco Bell, etc, so it’s not that bad. But...you can’t find my house on a GPS! :dunno:

Four HOURS in a car ? Just going back and forth to work ?

Thankfully I both don't have to be in every single weekday and also have other options to get there than just driving. I can also take a train with a mix of subways and walking. Mostly I take the train these days, but I used to drive pretty regularly too and still do sometimes if I have to haul any equipment with me. I've never found NYC traffic that stressful. Mind you, none of my colleagues agree with me on that assessment lol. Most of them also have long public transit commutes though, since it's too expensive to live nearby.

Thankfully I both don't have to be in every single weekday and also have other options to get there than just driving. I can also take a train with a mix of subways and walking. Mostly I take the train these days, but I used to drive pretty regularly too and still do sometimes if I have to haul any equipment with me. I've never found NYC traffic that stressful. Mind you, none of my colleagues agree with me on that assessment lol. Most of them also have long public transit commutes though, since it's too expensive to live nearby.
Wow! But still, it is so expensive to live up there, and there is so much traffic!!

I have setup a poll to see if our members prefer the city, or the country. Please check it out, and vote! :)

https://www.fishforums.net/threads/preferred-living-areas.454227/

You guys all live in countries that are just too big. I'm 30 miles out of London, won't drive there but usually take the bike or train, less than an hour from the coast (in a different direction), an hour from the mountains in another direction (ok hills really). A forest and farmland almost on my doorstep. Several small towns and rural villages close by.

In Australia you can drive for 4 hours and still not be near a town or city. There are even areas where you can drive for several days and not see another vehicle, let alone a town :)

You guys all live in countries that are just too big. I'm 30 miles out of London, won't drive there but usually take the bike or train, less than an hour from the coast (in a different direction), an hour from the mountains in another direction (ok hills really). A forest and farmland almost on my doorstep. Several small towns and rural villages close by.
Hey ! That isn't altogether true about the mountains. I used to watch a rock climbing series on PBS called Lakeland Rock. And there's a book by Dougal Haston, "In High Places". England has some awesome mountains. By my barometer a mountain is not defined by elevation so much as it is by the level of exertion needed to attaIn the summit. Ever heard of Ben Nevis or Clogwynn Dur Ardu or the Cairngorms? Oh to climb in England, the birthplace of modern climbing.

Hey ! That isn't altogether true about the mountains. I used to watch a rock climbing series on PBS called Lakeland Rock. And there's a book by Dougal Haston, "In High Places". England has some awesome mountains. By my barometer a mountain is not defined by elevation so much as it is by the level of exertion needed to attaIn the summit. Ever heard of Ben Nevis or Clogwynn Dur Ardu or the Cairngorms? Oh to climb in England, the birthplace of modern climbing.
Well yeah but...
None of those are within an hour of my home :). I have the Cotswolds and North and South Downs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back