Bga Problem..i Think

lmpb17

New Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have an algae problem in my tank. Im pretty sure its Blue Green Algae so I guess its more like a bacteria problem. I have done 2 doses of maracyn, a 50% water change, and have taken out all decorations. I used an algae scrubber on the glass but i don't think it did much.I cleaned the filter (bio-wheel 100) by washing all the parts accept for the wheel under hot water and I replaced the filter cartridge. I had two plants but as you could see in the pics something is wrong with one of them. A banana plant(not pictured) is in the tank along with a pleco, an angelfish, and a ryukin.

If the pics are too small just click them and you'll get the full screen.

You could see some of the rocks with the green algae on them.


The plant, not sure what those black dots are on it.


The most "damaged" part of the tank, I took this rock out.


Was I correct in assuming this is BGA? What else can I do?

I am really thinking about giving the fish to a LFS, even though I don't know if being in a crowded tank would be better for them.
When I took out the ornaments( I had a barrel, a treasure chest, and a fake turtle) so much muck came out from under the rocks. It was filthy and I really don't know how I let my tank get like this.
 
I have an algae problem in my tank. Im pretty sure its Blue Green Algae so I guess its more like a bacteria problem. I have done 2 doses of maracyn, a 50% water change, and have taken out all decorations. I used an algae scrubber on the glass but i don't think it did much.I cleaned the filter (bio-wheel 100) by washing all the parts accept for the wheel under hot water and I replaced the filter cartridge. I had two plants but as you could see in the pics something is wrong with one of them. A banana plant(not pictured) is in the tank along with a pleco, an angelfish, and a ryukin.

If the pics are too small just click them and you'll get the full screen.

You could see some of the rocks with the green algae on them.


The plant, not sure what those black dots are on it.


The most "damaged" part of the tank, I took this rock out.


Was I correct in assuming this is BGA? What else can I do?

I am really thinking about giving the fish to a LFS, even though I don't know if being in a crowded tank would be better for them.
When I took out the ornaments( I had a barrel, a treasure chest, and a fake turtle) so much muck came out from under the rocks. It was filthy and I really don't know how I let my tank get like this.


In a high light tank it is an indication of low or fluctuating CO2 levels or not enough water circulation around the plants. In a low light tank it is often due to changing CO2 levels. To get rid of bga, remove as much as possible with a syphon or by hand. Next you need to black out the whole tank for 4 days. no peeking or feeding. It will have all died after 4 days.

The brown stuff on the bottom of the leaves looks like Java fern
 
Should I remove the affected gravel before the blackout? Where is the bacteria going after the blackout, I mean is it still going to be on the rocks and glass or what?
 
Since the bacteria photosynthesizes, it dies. Just disappears. You do not have to remove the gravel after the blackout. Another method to remove it is dosing the tank with maracyn as it is a bacteria.

BGA is also caused by low nitrates. If needed, you can dose potassium nitrate.
 
Okay, also I was thinking about just taking everything out of the tank, cleaning it, putting in new gravel, new water, and then just keep the same filter and soak the filter media in the water for a while. Then make sure the tank is fully cycled before putting the fish back in. I bring this up because the tank is filthy under the gravel. I have done about 50% water changes each of the past 2 days and it doesn't look like its getting much better.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top