Betta's A Gorgeous Red All Over, But Head Is A

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ami

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi - rushed question before I go to work!

My betta is one colour all over, excetp his head which is kinda mottled. I haven't noticed this getting any worse, but as it's lighter in the mornings I can see it better now!

Is he okay or does he have some dreaded betta disease? -_-

He's eating, swimming and seems generally happy so I'm probably worrying over nothing, but being new to bettas I felt it was best to check!

Ami

he's probably got some marble in him
it's totally normal
just his colouration!

This is the best pic I could do. Dudley's pretty active, lil cutie that he is, and my camera's pretty crap!
:lol:

DudleyBettaSplendens060106010.jpg

Please ignore the excessive peas at the bottom of the tank. The fish was bought as a tempter to get my hubby into fish as much as me (how else will I ever get that huge FW I'm hankering after, plus the marine and huge BW....?) and that was his first feeding attempt. Shortly followed by his first lesson on bite size pieces and good tank hygiene!

What do you think? It does look more mottled in different lights than others.

Us new betta keepers are always stressing about something!
:D

Ami

I don't see anything from that pic, it looks solid red to me. How about a head shot or a shot of him while the camera is over the top of him?

My betta's head changes colour (from dark purple as the rest of his body) through various paler shades at certain times. The main one is when I do a water change. His head is normally darkest when I switch the lights on in the morning and he thrashes about at the front of the tank in an attempt to scare me into giving him food :p

My betta's head changes colour (from dark purple as the rest of his body) through various paler shades at certain times. The main one is when I do a water change. His head is normally darkest when I switch the lights on in the morning and he thrashes about at the front of the tank in an attempt to scare me into giving him food :p

Ah. Dudley's head was the greenest in the morning. Maybe it's a light thing then? :unsure:

Ah. Dudley's head was the greenest in the morning. Maybe it's a light thing then? :unsure:

I've become convinced its related to mood - Oscar's head is darkest when he's 'hunting' and palest when hes 'scared' (ie when I drop something on the shelf that causes a loud sharp virbration or when I do a water change with slightly cooler water for the benefit of the cories).

Generally, and this applies to all fish, if you've got a spare few hours on a rainy day try watching them as you feed them, they eat, go back to what they're doing, interact etc. You'll soon recognise what is triggered behaviour and what is abnormal :sly:

Oh good - will stop worrying then!
:D

ThinIce, I do like you're newbie disclaimer - good idea that!
:lol:

Thanks for all your advice guys,
Ami

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back