Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Oh, ok. You can try to sand that down with a small piece of sand paper if you want to make it smoother. I did this with my cave when I first got it.

Bettas donā€™t really need caves, but they like them. I personally donā€™t like caves, but thatā€™s my opinion. Try adding more plants or a nice piece of driftwood. My betta used to hide around his driftwood and rest on his Anacharis. :)

Ok, so I did a 50% water change and sanded down the log and cave and made sure there were no sharp edges on the plants. I also treated the water. I will let yā€™all know how it goes!

For now you need to do daily water changes. (35%-50% each day. Make sure to use a de chlorinator in the water first.)

The API Master Freshwater test kit is the best IMO.
I agree with PheonixKingZ except do a 50-75% water change each day. Add a little aquarium salt too. One tablespoon for each 5 gallons of water to begin with. After that, each day if you do a 50% water change then add 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt back in. Has your filter been running since your other betta died or did it dry out in between. Did you clean the filter pad? If the pad stayed wet the whole time and you didnā€™t clean it with chlorinated tap water then it should be OK. We do need your water parameters though.

I agree with PheonixKingZ except do a 50-75% water change each day. Add a little aquarium salt too. One tablespoon for each 5 gallons of water to begin with. After that, each day if you do a 50% water change then add 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt back in. Has your filter been running since your other betta died or did it dry out in between. Did you clean the filter pad? If the pad stayed wet the whole time and you didnā€™t clean it with chlorinated tap water then it should be OK. We do need your water parameters though.

It has been running and I did clean the pad. I will look into getting a test kit and aquarium salt. I do use tap water but I treat it first and then let it run with the filter for a while before I put him back in. This is a cool group. I have always loved aquariums! But I definitely donā€™t have as much knowledge as you all.

You do not need to remove fish to do a water change, it is stressful for them doing this. Leave him in there but be aware of where he is in the tank while you are cleaning it.

I agree with @essjay. Donā€™t remove the betta when you do a water change. Just slowly pour the water in a corner of the tank, so he doesnā€™t get pushed around so much by the current.

I agree with @essjay. Donā€™t remove the betta when you do a water change. Just slowly pour the water in a corner of the tank, so he doesnā€™t get pushed around so much by the current.

I normally wouldnā€™t remove him for that but I wanted to make sure the water was ok. Is the stress coat/water dechlorinator supposed to work immediately?

If you are worried about it, leave the bucket of new dechlorinated water to stand for half an hour, or run an air stone in the bucket for 5 minutes. This is to make sure sure that every chlorine in the bucket comes into contact with a dechlorinator (Colin_T's advice). But most of us don't bother, we just put the dechlorinator in the bucket then run the water in at full speed, then put it in the tank.

I normally wouldnā€™t remove him for that but I wanted to make sure the water was ok. Is the stress coat/water dechlorinator supposed to work immediately?
What brand do you use? Because of the fact that I have small tanks, I use very clean milk jugs (plastic) for my water refills. I fill them with tap water first and then add my de chlorinator. (I use Tetra safestart what do you use?)

Tetra SafeStart claims it work instantly, but I donā€™t trust that 100%. I add the de chlorinator to the water (according to the directions on the back of the bottle) and then shake it up really good. I then wait a couple of minutes before adding it to my tank. Just my lite way of doing it after years of doing what didnā€™t work. ;)

I do that too

I fill the jug up 1/2 with cold water, add dechlorinator and fill the rest with hot water to get it close to the temp of the tank water.
I do that with my buckets:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back