Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Trandall

Reaction score
I have a fairly new half moon beta. I have had him for about two weeks. When I got him his tail/fins were beautiful but now they are starting to split in places. I have had the water checked at the local pet store and they said it was perfect. The tank was established before I got him. I have a few soft artificial plants and a moss ball. I also have a few habitat options for him. It’s a 5 gallon tank. Any advice?

Hi.

There are two things that spring to mind - fin rot, or injury. Could you post a pic? It might help us identify which it is.

I'd recommend getting your own liquid test kit, such as API or NT Labs. One person's (or fish's) perfect is another's nightmare. :;) Investing in your own kit is the only way to know for certain what's going on in the tank. :)

How did you establish the tank?

Last edited:
I have had the tank set up for a while. My last beta died before I got this one but we had him for a long time and I’m assuming old age. I cleaned all of the things before I got this one and did a water change and let it run before I put him in. I couldn’t get the best pic of him but here is the best I could get and one of his aquarium.

Attachments

• 313666A7-E6EB-44BF-8CDF-B310C956323A.jpeg
    313666A7-E6EB-44BF-8CDF-B310C956323A.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 3E336B1B-61A2-4F36-AE73-DEAC92657EBA.jpeg
    3E336B1B-61A2-4F36-AE73-DEAC92657EBA.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 66
Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What are your water parameters? I agree with @FishkeeperLinz, investing in a liquid test kit is the best choice you will ever make in your fish keeping hobby.

Any chance of a picture? Use the “Attach files” button below.

I have had the tank set up for a while. My last beta died before I got this one but we had him for a long time and I’m assuming old age. I cleaned all of the things before I got this one and did a water change and let it run before I put him in. I couldn’t get the best pic of him but here is the best I could get and one of his aquarium.
[/QUOTE/] Is there anything sharp in the tank might have ripped his fins?

Hi.

There are two things that spring to mind - fun rot, or injury. Could you post a pic? It might help us identify which it is.

I'd recommend getting your own liquid test kit, such as API or NT Labs. One person's (or fish's) perfect is another's nightmare. :;) Investing in your own kit is the only way to know for certain what's going on in the tank. :)

How did you establish the tank?

I will try to get a test kit in the next day or so. If fin Rot is there a medicine you would recommend?

I don’t think there is anything sharp. Maybe an edge on the inside of his log or cave?

I will try to get a test kit in the next day or so. If fin Rot is there a medicine you would recommend?
For now you need to do daily water changes. (35%-50% each day. Make sure to use a de chlorinator in the water first.)

The API Master Freshwater test kit is the best IMO.

I don’t think there is anything sharp. Maybe an edge on the inside of his log or cave?
I would definitely check that. I once had a betta that tore his fin on a small sharp edge on the inside of his cave.

Their fins are very delicate, thinner than paper or a tissue.

I doubt it’s actually fin rot. I think he just tore his fin. Check everywhere in his tank for something sharp. If it is on his cave, let me know. I’ll tell you what to do then. :)

For now you need to do daily water changes. (35%-50% each day. Make sure to use a de chlorinator in the water first.)

The API Master Freshwater test kit is the best IMO.
I will see if they have that in stock at my local store. Thanks!

I would definitely check that. I once had a betta that tore his fin on a small sharp edge on the inside of his cave.

Their fins are very delicate, thinner than paper or a tissue.

I doubt it’s actually fin rot. I think he just tore his fin. Check everywhere in his tank for something sharp. If it is on his cave, let me know. I’ll tell you what to do then. :)
I just checked the cave and the log and they both have spots I would consider sharp at least for a beta fin. I can’t believe it didn’t think of that. Are there any replacements that are safe for betas you would recommend. I don’t even know if they need the hiding places?

I just checked the cave and the log and they both have spots I would consider sharp at least for a beta fin. I can’t believe it didn’t think of that. Are there any replacements that are safe for betas you would recommend. I don’t even know if they need the hiding places?
Will you please take the cave out and take a picture of the sharp parts? Also, what is the cave made out of? (Plastic, wood, etc.)

Will you please take the cave out and take a picture of the sharp parts? Also, what is the cave made out of? (Plastic, wood, etc.)

If you can see in the picture there is a spot on the cave that is broken and there is a little sharpness to the rim of the log. I assume they are both some type of plastic. They aren’t wood.

Attachments

• 888A51BE-2EB7-424C-87F2-12EE07567973.jpeg
    888A51BE-2EB7-424C-87F2-12EE07567973.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 76
  • B4472DBF-CFF9-4F84-9817-3F1CB228209E.jpeg
    B4472DBF-CFF9-4F84-9817-3F1CB228209E.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 54
If you can see in the picture there is a spot on the cave that is broken and there is a little sharpness to the rim of the log. I assume they are both some type of plastic. They aren’t wood.
Oh, ok. You can try to sand that down with a small piece of sand paper if you want to make it smoother. I did this with my cave when I first got it.

Bettas don’t really need caves, but they like them. I personally don’t like caves, but that’s my opinion. Try adding more plants or a nice piece of driftwood. My betta used to hide around his driftwood and rest on his Anacharis. :)

Most reactions

Back