Betta with weird spots on his head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I have dosed the half dose of salt and done a big water change. I have managed fin rot before so not too concerned about that on its own, just hoping itā€™s not a sign that something else is wrong.

My betta has these weird greyish spots on his head that kind of look like blisters. No other symptoms and he is very active, currently making a bubble nest. All water parameters and care is perfect. Can anybody identify them? Doesnā€™t seem like fungus at all as they arenā€™t white or fluffy, and are just individual dots. Pictures are attached.
do they look like missing scales? does he eat at the top or bottom of the tank? if he likes to dive for pellets could he be bumping his head on that stone if they are landing on or in the area of the {forget the name } rock. I think that kind of stone is sharp...
some of my bettas have been divers and got the pellets further down even on the substrate. if he eats at the top this wouldn't apply. just my 2cents.

I hope he gets better

editing because I Just saw the second photo. not sure my response applies anymore but you never know when something is actually two things simultaniously

do they look like missing scales? does he eat at the top or bottom of the tank? if he likes to dive for pellets could he be bumping his head on that stone if they are landing on or in the area of the {forget the name } rock. I think that kind of stone is sharp...
some of my bettas have been divers and got the pellets further down even on the substrate. if he eats at the top this wouldn't apply. just my 2cents.

I hope he gets better

editing because I Just saw the second photo. not sure my response applies anymore but you never know when something is actually two things simultaniously
Thank you for your reply. They are more like bumps but it could be swelling from an injury maybe. He eats from the top but if a bit of food escapes and he spots it he will follow it down. He often just misses it though. Iā€™ve never seen him hurt himself on it but itā€™s a possibility itā€™s mainly around his eye but his actual eye doesnā€™t seem to be affected. Luckily he is still really active and eating well.

Iā€™m pretty sure he is starting to get a bit of fin rot now as the edges are turning a bit brown. I have a fungus and fin rot medication so may use that, it might help his head too if it is fungus.

I wish you could get the meds I mentioned above. Do you have anything that treats bacterial?

The nearest thing we have is eSHa 2000 or Waterlife's Myxazin.

eSHa 2000 contains the antibacterials ethacridine lactate and proflavin.
Myxazin used to contain acriflavine (and porbably still does, though it no longer gives the ingredients on their website)

The nearest thing we have is eSHa 2000 or Waterlife's Myxazin.

eSHa 2000 contains the antibacterials ethacridine lactate and proflavin.
Myxazin used to contain acriflavine (and porbably still does, though it no longer gives the ingredients on their website)
Thanks for the recommendation. Is this the stuff? Should I water change out the salt before using it? And is it safe for bettas? I know some medicines arenā€™t safe for fish with labyrinth organs.

Attachments

• C226D50D-2043-4BC7-AC88-97B54609F4B8.png
    C226D50D-2043-4BC7-AC88-97B54609F4B8.png
    397.7 KB · Views: 74
Yes, that's the one. It doesn't contain aromatic oils so it's safe for bettas (and other labyrinth fish). There shouldn't be a problem with salt, but I would do a water change or two before using the medication to dilute any disease organisms in the tank.

Yes, that's the one. It doesn't contain aromatic oils so it's safe for bettas (and other labyrinth fish). There shouldn't be a problem with salt, but I would do a water change or two before using the medication to dilute any disease organisms in the tank.
Ok, thank you for your help! I donā€™t know much about the active ingredients in medications so Iā€™d love to look into it more.

A lot of manufacturers give the ingredients on their websites. Some, like API, give them in the safety data sheet. And there was a post on here a long time ago listing many meds with their active ingredients which I copied and pasted into a Word document. This is why I said that "Myxazin used to contain....." as Waterlife don't give the ingredients on their website.

A lot of manufacturers give the ingredients on their websites. Some, like API, give them in the safety data sheet. And there was a post on here a long time ago listing many meds with their active ingredients which I copied and pasted into a Word document. This is why I said that "Myxazin used to contain....." as Waterlife don't give the ingredients on their website.
Ok, thank you for the info!

I donā€™t know if itā€™s related at all but I donā€™t think he has long left now. He has dropsy pretty bad, his colours are faded and he wonā€™t eat. Heā€™s just at the top in the corner. Iā€™m really worried about him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back