betta with weird eyes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tank is not too small as long as he stays on top of maintenance. Absolute minimum is 2.5 gallons with very diligent care. If your brother though doesn't want to commit to daily water changes, go 5-10g. Otherwise, small daily changes with 1x a week total change will be fine with lots of plants and with a filter. You can make a DIY filter to fit the tank he has using tubing, a filter sponge, and an airpump.

The betta's eyes appear to be a genetic condition called diamond eye, where the scales grow over the eye. Most common in dragonscales, but seems your brother's betta lost the unlucky lottery
Maybe the tank is not too small, daily water changes, but who wants to do daily water changes?
I say go for 5-10 gallon one and get a nice sponge filter too.

He should be able to live fine, provided he is given standard good fish care. Just dont change around his tank much, and maybe have your brother tap the top of the tank right before feeding him so he knows when food is there, and feed in the same spot each time.

He should be able to live fine, provided he is given standard good fish care. Just dont change around his tank much, and maybe have your brother tap the top of the tank right before feeding him so he knows when food is there, and feed in the same spot each time.
Thanks. I will tell him that.

If he’s going through the shell he obviously sees it. Hasn’t been in the tank long enough to have it memorized. I have a blue yes betta but not his pupil.

Yes, that is why I am sure that it is not just eye color. The blue is covering the whole top part of his eye, including the pupil.

NCaquatics mentioned dragonscale bettas - I had a dragonscale years ago and his eyes developed this condition. His right eye was completely covered in the end, though with the left eye there was still a bit that was not covered by the time he died. I made sure I never moved the decor in his tank and always put his food in exactly the same place. He coped well with his impaired vision, but fish do have other ways to sense things in the water eg the lateral line.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back