betta with weird eyes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My brother got a betta yesterday and I noticed it's eyes look pretty weird. Are they supposed to be that shiny blue color?

Attachments

• 20200531_112156.jpg
    20200531_112156.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200531_111944_HDR.jpg
    20200531_111944_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
That does look odd. Have yo noticed any vision impairment? Does he bump into things? Does it take him a while to find his food?

In that case, I think he might have, either something growing over his eyes, or he is just going blind. He is definitely going to need some extra care. If you have any hard decorations in the tank that he could bump into, take them out. Maybe you could line the sides of the tank with some soft plants so he doesn't bump into the glass.
For feeding, you're going to have to only put one pellet in at a time, and put it right by his nose to make sure that he can find it.

He seems to know where the decorations are. He swims around them and he has a shell in his tank that he swims through. Is it possible he is partly blind? I will tell him to feed 1 pellet at a time. Thank you.

It's a 3.5 gallon, it has a heater and is 78 degrees, no filter, weekly water changes, water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate 7. When he got the betta he picked it because he liked the way it's eyes looked so the betta was like that when he got it.

If he can still see the decorations, then leave them in. If his eyes get worse, then you can follow the directions I posted above. I hope you can convince your brother to get a bigger tank. Your betta will definitely appreciate it. Also, the filter is important, but make sure the flow isn't too strong, especially since the betta can't see well.

If he can still see the decorations, then leave them in. If his eyes get worse, then you can follow the directions I posted above. I hope you can convince your brother to get a bigger tank. Your betta will definitely appreciate it. Also, the filter is important, but make sure the flow isn't too strong, especially since the betta can't see well.
I agree

Tank is not too small as long as he stays on top of maintenance. Absolute minimum is 2.5 gallons with very diligent care. If your brother though doesn't want to commit to daily water changes, go 5-10g. Otherwise, small daily changes with 1x a week total change will be fine with lots of plants and with a filter. You can make a DIY filter to fit the tank he has using tubing, a filter sponge, and an airpump.

The betta's eyes appear to be a genetic condition called diamond eye, where the scales grow over the eye. Most common in dragonscales, but seems your brother's betta lost the unlucky lottery

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back