Betta tank questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My LFS giveaway his 5 gal tank, I will make this tank for my betta (length 15 inches width 9.5 inches height 10 inches) can anyone suggest what type of soil should i use and how much soil do i need and are air stone bubbler necessary for betta?

Last edited:
I use plain sand in my betta's tank.

Air stones are not necessary but you can attach a sponge filter instead of an air stone to the air line. These are good filters for bettas' tanks as they do not create a strong water flow.

Well, I would think of it from your Betta's viewpoint...would he or she like filtered water?

There are some experienxed people that do run a no filter tank for a betta. They either know a whole lot about aquariums, or they have been told that Betta's come from rice paddies in nature so they don't need a filter, which is what the really knowledgeable people know how to create with the right balance of elements.

I would never try to go without a filter.
I'm too lazy to do the many many more water changes that would be required since I do not know how to run a no filter tank.

Does the tank have a lid?
Does it have a special place around the top rim where a filter used to be? I had success with a Tetra Whisper filter fitting into the opening of a tank with a lid. There are other brands that offer hang on filters if you are not working with a lid.

Finally, about using an air stone and foam filter with air line. I think, am not positive, that these can cause quite a bit of water agitation. Betta's, coming from a natural environment that does not bubble, need calmer water conditions. You will probably want to look into a more gentle filter. (Sometimes you have to get or make a baffle because even the small filters can move water swiftly). You can ask for help picking out a filter, I'm sure someone here on the forum can help you choose. Shouldn't be costly compared to pump, tube, and foam combo of a bubbler. Finally, if you need a baffle and choose to buy one, Fluval has a replacement part for their Edge aquarium that I use.

Sorry if I got carried away; I am quite fond of Betta's. It seems like a lot to go through, but....They can live a long time with the right care and conditions.

Well, I would think of it from your Betta's viewpoint...would he or she like filtered water?

There are some experienxed people that do run a no filter tank for a betta. They either know a whole lot about aquariums, or they have been told that Betta's come from rice paddies in nature so they don't need a filter, which is what the really knowledgeable people know how to create with the right balance of elements.

I'm too lazy to do the many many more water changes that would be required since I do not know how to run a no filter tank.

Does it have a special place around the top rim where a filter used to be? I had success with a Tetra Whisper filter fitting into the opening of a tank with a lid. There are other brands that offer hang on filters if you are not working with a lid.

Finally, about using an air stone and bubbler. I think, am not positive, that these can cause quite a bit of water agitation. Betta's, coming from a natural environment that does not bubble, need calmer water conditions. You will probably want to look into a more gentle filter. (Sometimes you have to get or make a baffle because even the small filters can move water swiftly). You can ask for help picking out a filter, I'm sure someone here on the forum can help you choose. Shouldn't be costly compared to pump, tube, and foam combo of a bubbler. Finally, if you need a baffle and choose to buy one, Fluval has a replacement part for their Edge aquarium that I use.

Sorry if I got carried away; I am quite fond of Betta's. It seems like a lot to go through, but....They can live a long time with the right care and conditions.
Thanks for replying @essjay @vanalisa In my country (Thailand) its normal to find betta in river and pond, they can live even in the dirtiest of water.

Finally, about using an air stone and foam filter with air line. I think, am not positive, that these can cause quite a bit of water agitation. Betta's, coming from a natural environment that does not bubble, need calmer water conditions. You will probably want to look into a more gentle filter. (Sometimes you have to get or make a baffle because even the small filters can move water swiftly). You can ask for help picking out a filter, I'm sure someone here on the forum can help you choose. Shouldn't be costly compared to pump, tube, and foam combo of a bubbler. Finally, if you need a baffle and choose to buy one, Fluval has a replacement part for their Edge aquarium that I use.

What about substrate, What are you using and do you think how much soil do i need for that tank?

But it is better to have something on the bottom of the tank as the substrate houses a lot of good bacteria, and some fish get distressed if they can see their reflection in the bottom glass.

A sponge filter powered by an air pump is gentler than post internal/hang on back filters. And with a double tap in the air line it is possible to bleed off some air to the room which lessens the water flow.
I don't use an air stone in a betta's tank, I use the air pump to power the filter only.

All anabatids have evolved so they can breathe air so they can survive better than most fish in less than perfect water. But ammonia will still burn their skin and gills, and nitrite will still damage their blood. There is a difference between water with less oxygen than usual and water which has ammonia/nitrite in it.

Read "The Ecology of a Planted aquarium" great read, a bit hefty but doable. I use garden soil sifted and soaked to remove anything nasty. For root ferts I use clay. I have several tanks set up this way. Needless to say I have 4 ecosystems in my house. Basically like small ponds. The bettas love it!

A sponge filter powered by an air pump is gentler than post internal/hang on back filters. And with a double tap in the air line it is possible to bleed off some air to the room which lessens the water flow.
I don't use an air stone in a betta's tank, I use the air pump to power the filter only.

I am confused, I think I am getting air stone and air pump mixed up? I have a 2.5 gallon
container about 1/4 full of random extra gravel and have these two products set up. It is for extra snails. It really bubbles. Maybe in such a small space it makes a difference.
20200205_012416.jpg20200205_012427.jpg

But while I'm writing I just remembered other products I've seen called air stones, it looked like they would put out tiny little bubbles compared to the tube I have. I May have even broke a little blue part off the end of something.
Arghh!
I definitely have to defer to more experienced responders about Betta tank filters.

Also, I am not sure if bubbler is even a correct term.

I just named the set-up My Snail Bubbler Bucket!

Also, what is a double tap? :)

*edited for spelling, grammar, and content.

Last edited:
My betta's tank has the things in your photos, just a different make (Aqua One filter, Eheim pump)

Air pumps are often used just to create bubbles either from a small spherical thing or a long strip. Those are what I don't use, even though the Eheim air pump came with one.

This is what I mean by a splitter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium...hash=item4680b737b4:m:mWbEmhReUykrDCn2Ai_H3ww
I have one with two taps, one is connected to the filter, the other isn't connected to anything. I can open or close the unused one to bleed air out of the system if I think the water movement in the tank is too strong.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back