Betta tank plans. Suggestions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reimu

Reaction score
Hi, it's my first time posting here.

I want to make a simple planted tank for betta and ghost shrimps. For obvious reasons, I haven't bought them yet. I plan to let the tank be for a few weeks with plants, then add shrimps then the betta.

The tank is a 5.5 gallon, wider than tall. I also have a silent filter, thermometer, heater, and a variety of water treatments and kits when needed.

My original plan is to use a gravel substrate, the brownish natural-looking ones. For a hiding place, it would have a half cork bark that can be found in the reptile section. I find that it's easier to sink when boiled first. After that, I plan to weigh it down by covering parts of it with the substrate. This can additionally be a place for plants.

For the plants, I want to have dwarf hairgrass for carpeting. It's only a few, which I then let grow out and propagate. I'm still unsure for the main centrepiece plant that can be used for overhang. I considered either hornwort or java fern, which can also be places to hide.

The sketch of the layout:

Do you have any suggestions? I know betta can eat the shrimps, but from my experience with good temperament and feeding the bettas ignore the shrimps

Attachments

• tank.png
    tank.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 90
All that you have is great. Lately I've used sand in my tanks instead of gravel. I was skeptical at first but now I'm a true believer. My newest tank has Flourite black sand. It was pretty clean right out of the bag and didn't need a lot of cleaning before putting it in the tank. This particular stuff is intended for planted tanks. It's a clay product that will not buffer hardness upward. I really like the look of the black substrate. The fish look so good in contrast to it. Very easy to clean too. Just swirl your gravel vac above the surface and siphon the detritus. No need to plunge into it and disturb your plant roots. It would suck right out anyway. It's kind of pricey. I paid 18 bucks for one bag that covered the bottom of a standard 20 gallon a half inch deep. You might want to think again on that reptile cork. Use driftwood instead. There are a lot of good Betta keepers on this forum with beautiful Betta tanks. They will have things to say. Huh @Deanasue ?

Plan sounds fab.
I like the plant on top of the hide, the betta might prefer to be on top of the plant so adding some floating plants here will make him comfortable. They like to rest near the water surface.
The shrimps might use the hide but it's big so the betta could go in after them. Have you considered smaller hiding spots for the shrimp, maybe small tubes inside your hide, until your plants grow in?
I hear carpeting plants are difficult to grow but it sounds like you have the experience to be able to establish them.
I cultivate algae on pebbles (just a bowl of water and pebbles on a sunny windowsill) for my shrimps, it would be especially useful in a new tank without mature biofilm.
Don't forget to post a photo when you get it set up!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be using some floaters with long hairy roots for the tank. Temporarily, I'll be using some hornworts, mainly for the shrimp to hide in.

I worry that the betta will eat the shrimp. It will definitely eat the baby shrimp so you won’t be able to grow out a colony. Plant a lot of moss on some driftwood so babies at least have a chance to hide.

Alright, thanks! I have a similar problem like that with my other tank, where when the shrimps gave birth the betta just ambushes them. Java moss would help.

Also, currently planting the hairgrass on the gravel. Pain. In. The. ASS. But it's already too late since I already bought the gravel, so I'll have to make do. Probably in the future use sand instead.

Shrimp probably have to quarantine them first for a bit after buying. The last time I bought ghost shrimps, I think two of them had a whitish line in them. Suspicious, I put them in a "kill tank" and voila, two white worms five inches long comes out.

Shrimp probably have to quarantine them first for a bit after buying. The last time I bought ghost shrimps, I think two of them had a whitish line in them. Suspicious, I put them in a "kill tank" and voila, two white worms five inches long comes out.
:sick:

:eek:

Yeah...

Hope for next time none would have a similar issue. I find that for those type of shrimps, there's not much difference between local and large chain stores like petco. Strangely enough, the healthier ones I found in Petco.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back