Betta love with platy fry?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My platy just gave birth and i was wondering if my male beta (in a 5g) would do well with them until they got bigger and i could sell them. i don’t want him to eat the fry, but i thought maybe they would be too big for him to eat. he is pretty aggressive- but doesn’t eat a lot.

@EllRog is right, the betta will just eat the fry. It would be like putting a betta in with baby RCS, they would all be eaten regardless of how peaceful your betta is because it's essentially a snack for them.

I have had a lot of platy fry in my tank over the last year or so. Aslong as you have some good hiding places for them they should be fine. Many of them probably won't survive. But personally since I got my platys last year i've had a good survival rate - and I now actually have too many!! I have some larger fish in my tank which definitely have eaten a few.

I also have a lot of plants in my tank and when I look closely I can see a lot of the fry hiding in amongst this. Bettas are quite aggressive so he probably will eat them. You can always buy isolation fish boxes for fry, I have one and it worked really well for my Cory fry. (super cheap on amazon)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back